Southend 15 August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
topcat1

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Auntie Helen said:
Sounds interesting, TC1, although getting to London for 9am will be a monumental challenge. Train from Manningtree at that time (which won't allow my bike anyway!) would be £41.50.

We can start later 10 or 11 tho 11 puts us into traffic leaving Laandon

£41.50 OUCH!

ChrisKH said:
So any posting by Davy is a missive from the Staines Massive?

Yes Chris - 'missive' with a 'p', not an 'm' :biggrin:

Sig SilverPrinter

will do this if I'm not away, my holidays are always taken at the last moment.
Helen if I am around you could drive here get train from Romford[£5 single] cycle to southend and back

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
OK, I am definitely going to try for this one, having thought about it. I may go to my parents' the day before and get the train from Saafend (hopefully someone can guide me to the start from Fenchurch Street/Liverpool Street) or get the train from Manningtree VERY early. I was encouraged to see about 6,000 bikes and a trike go to London from Manningtree on Saturday without the conductor batting an eyelid.

OP
OP
topcat1

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Nice one Helen, it'll be good to see you .:smile:

Speaking of trains the recon on monday leaves at 10am if anyone wants to join me.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Can't do that, Topcat, but am almost certain for the 15th.

I was going to pre-book an advanced ticket for £8 from Manningtree but would like to be sure of the exact time we're setting off before that. Don't want to be too late/too early. P'raps you'll know after your recon trip.

Oh, and I've also noticed that the start is from Tower Bridge which is a bit easier for me, but if I ended up coming from Manningtree could anyone meet me at Liverpool Street Station to lead me to the start? I'm rubbish in London and I find all those big scary trike-squashing buses slightly perturbing.

I'm thinking of cycling home from Saafend the following day, or cadging a lift from James.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
I will be coming along on this ride, I will be riding back as well as I would like to do another ton. Will other folk's be doing the ride back to London as well?

I will be wangling a day off work for this so a day spent in the saddle would be great:biggrin:

Wigsie

Nincompoop
User1314 said:
Yep - I'm up for cycling back to London.

As long as we stay off the A12 / A13 / M25 (delete as appropriate).

Looks like the Mrs is putting the stop to another ride ealry august :smile: (family commitments always get in the way of a good ride), but kids are away by this one and If I can weasel this one in before we go to Spain a few days later I shall be riding back to London to get the train home, never ridden there so may need directions to/from Charing Cross!

Top Bottom