Southend 15 August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
Davywalnuts said:
Nice bike Sig!

But, one concern... where's the cake going to go?? :-(

Btw, what top tube bag is that? Am after one...

It's a Topeak one the same as mine. With a nice silver rain hood I think.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
I've emailed Mr Kiplings and his fancies and they are on a state of high alert!

Looking at the bag on the website, I would say not much cake....*sobs*...

have seen this though http://www.sbrsports.com/898-636122 which I am sure will fit at least 10 tarts in... Not bad for a ride through Saffend... hehehe

OP
OP
topcat1

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
We'll stay with the 9am start for now, let me know if anyone has any problems with that. The rainham marshes has a tarmac path so no worries there, but
2aaagjk.jpg

these gates may cause problems for Auntie Helens trike and Martins shoulders.

We stop for tea at the RSPB which has outside seating, this should be about 11am .
On leaving the RSPB we come to juction 31/ lakeside which can be a busy section then we'll make our way down to Pitsea for another stop.

Then from Pitsea we'll be joining the A13 to Leigh on sea and onto the Rose restaurant and pub next door (not the bike smashing pub) at Southend .(unless someone can recommend an alternative)

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Well I think I'm going to give this a go, despite the 9am start - assuming someone will help me carry my trike over any obstacles. Looking at that image, however, I reckon it might go through anyway.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Well I have booked my tickets ;)

£8 from Manningtree at 7:18am (gulp!) to Liverpool Street, gives me half an hour to find my way to the start point (Tower Bridge).

Please will someone meet me at LST and lead me to the start, I'm rubbish at cycling in London!

There were no bike spaces on this train, but as the Norwich train guard's van is HOOOOOOOGE (fitted 22 bikes quite recently, including a trike) I imagine this is just because of their silly rule of only reserving six bike spaces per train. So I'll risk it.

Return train ticket anytime from Saafend to Manningtree was £14.40.

So I'm definitely on for this ride, and no making it earlier as the other Advance tickets are sold out!

ChrisKH

Guru
User1314 said:
No probs.

Let me know your ETA and I can meet you at Bishopsgate Road entrance.

Only a few minutes to Tower bridge from there.

Yes, all you do is turn right onto Bishopsgate follow it to the end and then turn left before it goes over London Bridge and follow this road to the Tower & Tower Bridge. Wish I was coming.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I could still get lost - I did on the way to Freewheel last September! Partly because to get out of Liverpool Street without going up stairs you end up in a tiny little cul-de-sac somewhere surrounded by giant buildings.

I think I'll take you up on your offer, COG, of a guided tour of London. My train arrives at 08:24, allegedly.

ChrisKH

Guru
Auntie Helen said:
I could still get lost - I did on the way to Freewheel last September! Partly because to get out of Liverpool Street without going up stairs you end up in a tiny little cul-de-sac somewhere surrounded by giant buildings.
I think I'll take you up on your offer, COG, of a guided tour of London. My train arrives at 08:24, allegedly.

Right. You end up in the taxi rank in a one way street heading the wrong way. Have fun.

OP
OP
topcat1

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Wigsie said:
If I can weasel this one in before we go to Spain a few days later I shall be riding back to London to get the train home, never ridden there so may need directions to/from Charing Cross!

Wigsie , turn left out of charing cross station and turn left at trafalgar sq. Straight down to the river turn left at the river then it's just straight all the way through the blackfriars underpass up to the tower 10 minutes.

stevevw

Guru
Auntie Helen said:
Had fun last time, I'm trying to avoid it this time!

Alternatively I can pick the trike up and carry it up the stairs but that's not very ladylike!

I think I will make this ride so will get the train to Liverpool Street to help a damsel in Lycra up the stairs with her 3 wheeled carriage.

Top Bottom