Southend 15 August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Ill be cycling back too.... this time though i insist we stop at a Burger Drive through when we see one, not just cycle on by..... hehehe!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Dave - I can send you the fnrttc route if you want it, but, if there are less than fifteen riders, the southern route via Dartford is much the better - just check with the Dart bods that their trailer is working. 01322221222 or 01322221603. Unfortunately the fnrttc is denied the pleasure of the Dartford Tunnel by sheer numbers. The route to Dartford is as per our ride with User10571 and Andy.

Sig SilverPrinter

I'm still trying to convince him to take a slightly different route - at Dovers corner[our wrong turn on fnrttc] we detour there and end up on the Thames path[ i want to go see the WW2 concrete barges] and head for rainham marshes[RSPB] for a cake stop:hungry:

OP
OP
topcat1

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Thankyou Simon yes i'd like a look at the southern route.

Sig if you can make it tomorrow we'll go down there for lunch.

OP
OP
topcat1

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
Having Sig join me today we rode the route with a detour through the rainham marshes to see the concrete barges,
j8lhtz.jpg

2a4pc82.jpg

2aaagjk.jpg

21bnqc7.jpg

2lwkhi1.jpg

After leaving the rspb we passed lakeside m25 which is a busy section of the route and care needs to be taken at these series of roundabouts.
Also there are sections of single carriageway which are very busy.
The rest of the ride goes through Chadwell st Mary ,Stanford le Hope, Pitsea and Hadleigh including a nice little 10% hill.

Thankyou Sig (real name-Sig) for the company
2rx8aok.jpg

new bike:smile: she's fast.

ChrisKH

Guru
Cor, you kept that quiet Sig. I really will have to put some effort in now to keep up. No excuses now........nice bar bag as well. :tongue:

ChrisKH

Guru
And if you like concrete barges, this one used to sit at the end of my road when I was a kid. We spent endless hours on it playing, smoking, drinking............:cheers:

http://www.concretebarge.co.uk

And as for the vandal who wrote his name on the side in white emulsion paint on images 27 & 36 in the pictures, the name is entirely coincidental and nothing to do with me. :tongue::biggrin:

It's gone now, but it formed a big part of my early childhood.

ChrisKH

Guru
Auntie Helen said:
You vandal, Chris!

I was young. And it did come off after a couple of years.......only to be replaced by another name. Mild in comparison to some who used to turn up with sledgehammers intent on its destruction. ;) Ironically, just behind it is Canvey Island Yacht Club who were ultimately responsible for its destruction and removal despite local protest. The reason given was so they could build a slipway for their boats, which they promptly went and built elsewhere. It spoilt their view I suppose. Just round the corner of sea wall is the boat yard that built your Cat.

Top Bottom