Southern Trains (Dorking to Victoria)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rouge79

Thinking of doing an excursion from NW London down to Surrey this Saturday or Sunday. My legs are not quite ready to doing a 120km+ round trip so planning to ride all the way down to Box Hill then catch the train back from Dorking to London Victoria.

I've never taken my bike on a southern train before. Do they have a dedicated cycle space or not?

I'd be leaving home at around 6am so would probably be looking to get a train back from 9am onwards

I've used SWT many a time and they have good cycle area's but Southern is more convenient for me this time

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
If it is Electrostar rolling stock, bicycle space nominally for two bikes is next to the toilets. One per four car unit, distinguished by red markings on the doors.
And with jump seats at either end, unfortunately- one time some prat nearly damaged my bike by insisting on using one even though there were free seats elsewhere in the carriage. I asked him where else I was supposed to put the bike, he didn't have an answer to that...

benb

Evidence based cyclist
That comes through Epsom, and I've taken that train a few times, although never with my bike.

There is a space with a couple of wheel slots on the train, and if you can't find them you should be able to lean it against the doors and just move it when people need to get on or off.

young Ed

Veteran
i have taken bike on train a few times and just stand it up on rear wheel in big empty part where you get on train opposite door in use and just stand there with it
Cheers Ed

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
That comes through Epsom, and I've taken that train a few times, although never with my bike.

There is a space with a couple of wheel slots on the train, and if you can't find them you should be able to lean it against the doors and just move it when people need to get on or off.
^This, if you get one of the old school class 455's just hover in a lobby. On the newer 377's look for the red panels and be prepared to work as a toilet attendant.

young Ed

Veteran
^This, if you get one of the old school class 455's just hover in a lobby. On the newer 377's look for the red panels and be prepared to work as a toilet attendant.
and how do we know if we are on a 455 or a 377? i have never seen boeing 737 painted on the outside of a plane and never 377 on a train!
Cheers Ed

young Ed

Veteran
do you drive trains for a living? you seem rather knowledgeable compared to me who catches a train 2 or 3 times a year!
Cheers Ed

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
ah okay thanks
so basically if with my bike i want to get on a square train?
Cheers Ed
you can take your bike on either. but only when/where the fat controller says you can.

Attachments

• Cycle_Policy_Map.pdf
    777.3 KB · Views: 47

swansonj

Guru
14633.jpg
Adrian, tell me you had to search for that photo and didn't just have it all ready and waiting on your computer....

Tim Hall

[QUOTE 3178475, member: 45"]Tartan flask?[/QUOTE]
But of course

So this bloke walks into Ann Summers, looking to buy what the newspapers these days call "a sex toy". The range is many and varied, all sizes, all colours.

"I'll take that large tartan pattern one, by the till"
"No you won't" says the assistant "That's my thermos"

Top Bottom