Spain vs Switzerland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Can you imagine the stick we'd have got if we lost 1-0 though last week:ohmy:
Wonder if there'll be the same knee-jerk reaction from the Spanish?

hahaha, that's brilliant!

OP
OP
mangaman

mangaman

potsy said:
Can you imagine the stick we'd have got if we lost 1-0 though last week:ohmy:

I don't think so - as I say I had a long chat last night with a mate who is massively into Spanish football.

He was nervous because of the draw they've got. He said the whole thing is much less jingoistic over there. They haven't gone overboard saying they'll definitely win, and if they get knocked out they won't go overboard either.

The real shame is that it increases the chances of a Brazil/Spain game in round 2 - should be the bleeding final xx(

darkstar

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA this is brilliant, cheered me right up after a 10 hour shift in a warehouse picking xx( After the England result last week, people were writing us off. Will they do the same with the Spanish? I doubt it.

potsy

Rambler
marinyork said:
LOL I've just heard the result unfortunately. Was it a game worth watching later?
Not really marin,maybe highlights,but I hate watching games where I already know the score.
Rather watch S Africa v Uruguay later.

soulful dog

Veteran
darkstar said:
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA this is brilliant, cheered me right up after a 10 hour shift in a warehouse picking :smile: After the England result last week, people were writing us off. Will they do the same with the Spanish? I doubt it.

I'd quite like to see Spain do well, they are an entertaining side that play good attacking football. I only saw a bit of today's game mind you, so apart from the stats of them having loads more shots at goal, I don't know how well they actually played.

As for people writing them off, there were a few pundits playing down their chances before the tournament due to injuries, but I'm not sure who they are actually missing?

Besides, it was all idiots who were writing England off after the draw with USA, the neutrals and the England fans with a firmer grip on reality (if only there were a few more of them about :biggrin:) didn't think there was much wrong with the result (dodgy keeper error aside).

That defeat for Spain does leave them in a sticky position though, even if they beat Honduras in their next game, I don't imagine they'll relish having to beat Chile to qualify. Group H looks like being pretty interesting...

OP
OP
mangaman

mangaman

potsy said:

Just got the Spanish viewpoint texted to me - as predicted it's not critical - if anything he sounds more positive than he did yesterday as they played well.

Here it is if you want a bit of Spanish :biggrin:

"No hay recompensa para el mejor equipo cuando el underdog no quiere jugar al futbol. Confio que aprendan la leccion, pasen a la siguiente ronda y triunfen"

Which means "there's no chance for the better team if the other doesn't want to play football. I'm confident they've learnt their lesson, will go through and win."

See how much more mature a response than the average England fan would have given 10 minutes after the match (especially in response to me sending him a slightly piss-taking text as the final whistle blew) :smile:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
darkstar said:
After the England result last week, people were writing us off. Will they do the same with the Spanish? I doubt it.

And they shouldn't - because the Spanish looked like quality whereas the English did not. The Swiss were lucky, both for the goal and to keep 11 players on the pitch. They employed the kind of tactics teams of old used to use to try to neutralise Pele - i.e. keep kicking him. That said, Spain should have scored many times. But with the quality of the forward line they have, they will.

And I am not surprised the Spanish supporters were and are underplaying their chances - it is often considered bad luck in many Latin countries to be too confident.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
soulful dog said:
That defeat for Spain does leave them in a sticky position though, even if they beat Honduras in their next game, I don't imagine they'll relish having to beat Chile to qualify. Group H looks like being pretty interesting...

Chile have a defence like a Swiss cheese. They play like Spain without defenders. If I was Spain I'd be more worried about Honduras, who play a lot rougher - and it seems to be being 'beaten up' that causes Spain problems.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
how many times have Spain promised lots before a major championship and failed to deliver?

Top Bottom