Spanish helmet law

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by Dave Davenport, 4 May 2010.

1. Dave Davenport

Dave Davenport Guru

THIS IS NOT A THREAD ABOUT HELMET USE, I JUST CHOOSE NOT TO USE ONE WHILST TOURING, SO PLEASE LETS NOT TURN IT INTO ONE!:blush:

Will be riding from Bilbao to St. Malo in August which will mean (obviously) a couple of days in Spain. I know the law in Spain re. helmets has a lot of exceptions and isn't particuarly firmly inforced, but I've also read about 80 euro fines and people having front wheels confiscated. Was thinking about taking any old one I can find and chucking it as soon as we get to France just in case (mrs d wears hers anyway). Anyone had any recent experience or info?

2. GrahamG

GrahamG Veteran

I'm in a similar boat - spent two weeks last year carrying helmets around on the rear rack and this year we're doing three months in Europe starting in Spain. My only other consideration is that I might be a bit happier on alpine descents etc. with a helmet on (purely psychological!), plus I don't know what to expect from drivers in Italy/Slovenia/Croatia etc.

3. MarkF

MarkF Legendary Member

Dave, last year I cycled around Catalunya, train down and then around Andalucia. Previous year I cycled around the Asturian/Cantabrian coast. I never wore a helmet and was never stopped. It was only last year that my friend in Barcelona informed that there was a helmet law.

In those trips I often asked the police for directions too.:thumbsup:

4. andrew_s

andrew_s Guru

I've taken a helmet, but it's spent almost all of the time bungied to the rack.
    I get the impression that it may be enforced more if you look like a racing cyclist.

5. OP
    OP
    Dave Davenport

Dave Davenport Guru

Thanks for that. Don't think I'll worry about taking one and if by some chance I do get stopped I'll claim the too hot get out clause based on the fact that I'm English and anything over 15 deg c is scorchio!

6. jay clock

jay clock Massive member

I think there are rules that allow you to remove it on long climbs and in town. I have toured in Spain but always wear a helmet. My touring partner takes one and straps it to the rack and we have never had a problem.

7. ASC1951

ASC1951 Guru

I thought it was only in built up areas that helmets were compulsory?

I have never worn one in Spain and I have never had a problem.

8. OP
    OP
    Dave Davenport

Dave Davenport Guru

Built up areas is one of the let off's, along with hot weather and steep climbs. Not sure but I think there's also a 'I've just had my hair done' one.

9. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

When I was in Spain last year I got the impression that the helmet law was widely ignored, except by those wearing Lycra and riding, normal people just didn't bother with helmets...

10. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

:smile::biggrin:
    You've still got some then, Dave?

11. OP
    OP
    Dave Davenport

Dave Davenport Guru

If left to it's own devices my barnet would be nothing short of luxuriant, I only have a grade 1 'cos it's easy to manage and saves on hair care products.

12. Yellow7

Yellow7 Über Member

The first time I cycled to barcelona I researched this & found cyclist's have to wear helmets only in built up towns & cities. I'm not too sure on busy roads out side of said areas but common sense should prervail.

;)

13. Just to further muddy the waters, I took my Brompton to Spain a couple of years ago. I cycled across Barcelona twice, and spent four days buzzing about Valencia on it.

I didn't wear a helmet and I don't remember seeing anyone else wearing one on a bike.

14. jay clock

jay clock Massive member

ok a bit of research

"The Spanish helmet law came into effect from 23rd January 2004. It applies to bicycle riders of all ages. However it does not apply: to cyclists riding in towns and cities; during periods of extreme heat; when riding up steep hills; or to professional cyclists. A fine of up to EUR90 can be imposed for not wearing a helmet." from this site http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1076.html - the comments seem to be matched on several other sites

15. betty swollocks

betty swollocks large member

I cycled from Bilbao to Fuengirola with a friend last autumn.
    Neither of us wore helmets and neither had any problems.
    Have a great time!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice