Spanish helmet law

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
THIS IS NOT A THREAD ABOUT HELMET USE, I JUST CHOOSE NOT TO USE ONE WHILST TOURING, SO PLEASE LETS NOT TURN IT INTO ONE!:blush:

Will be riding from Bilbao to St. Malo in August which will mean (obviously) a couple of days in Spain. I know the law in Spain re. helmets has a lot of exceptions and isn't particuarly firmly inforced, but I've also read about 80 euro fines and people having front wheels confiscated. Was thinking about taking any old one I can find and chucking it as soon as we get to France just in case (mrs d wears hers anyway). Anyone had any recent experience or info?

GrahamG

Guru
I'm in a similar boat - spent two weeks last year carrying helmets around on the rear rack and this year we're doing three months in Europe starting in Spain. My only other consideration is that I might be a bit happier on alpine descents etc. with a helmet on (purely psychological!), plus I don't know what to expect from drivers in Italy/Slovenia/Croatia etc.

MarkF

Guru
Dave, last year I cycled around Catalunya, train down and then around Andalucia. Previous year I cycled around the Asturian/Cantabrian coast. I never wore a helmet and was never stopped. It was only last year that my friend in Barcelona informed that there was a helmet law.

In those trips I often asked the police for directions too.:thumbsup:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I've taken a helmet, but it's spent almost all of the time bungied to the rack.
I get the impression that it may be enforced more if you look like a racing cyclist.

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
Thanks for that. Don't think I'll worry about taking one and if by some chance I do get stopped I'll claim the too hot get out clause based on the fact that I'm English and anything over 15 deg c is scorchio!

jay clock

Massive member
I think there are rules that allow you to remove it on long climbs and in town. I have toured in Spain but always wear a helmet. My touring partner takes one and straps it to the rack and we have never had a problem.

ASC1951

Guru
jay clock said:
I think there are rules that allow you to remove it on long climbs and in town.
I thought it was only in built up areas that helmets were compulsory?

I have never worn one in Spain and I have never had a problem.

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
ASC1951 said:
I thought it was only in built up areas that helmets were compulsory?

I have never worn one in Spain and I have never had a problem.

Built up areas is one of the let off's, along with hot weather and steep climbs. Not sure but I think there's also a 'I've just had my hair done' one.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
When I was in Spain last year I got the impression that the helmet law was widely ignored, except by those wearing Lycra and riding, normal people just didn't bother with helmets...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Dave Davenport said:
Built up areas is one of the let off's, along with hot weather and steep climbs. Not sure but I think there's also a 'I've just had my hair done' one.

:smile::biggrin:
You've still got some then, Dave?

OP
OP
Dave Davenport
If left to it's own devices my barnet would be nothing short of luxuriant, I only have a grade 1 'cos it's easy to manage and saves on hair care products.

Yellow7

Über Member
The first time I cycled to barcelona I researched this & found cyclist's have to wear helmets only in built up towns & cities. I'm not too sure on busy roads out side of said areas but common sense should prervail.

;)

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Just to further muddy the waters, I took my Brompton to Spain a couple of years ago. I cycled across Barcelona twice, and spent four days buzzing about Valencia on it.

I didn't wear a helmet and I don't remember seeing anyone else wearing one on a bike.

jay clock

Massive member
ok a bit of research

"The Spanish helmet law came into effect from 23rd January 2004. It applies to bicycle riders of all ages. However it does not apply: to cyclists riding in towns and cities; during periods of extreme heat; when riding up steep hills; or to professional cyclists. A fine of up to EUR90 can be imposed for not wearing a helmet." from this site http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1076.html - the comments seem to be matched on several other sites

betty swollocks

large member
I cycled from Bilbao to Fuengirola with a friend last autumn.
Neither of us wore helmets and neither had any problems.
Have a great time!

Top Bottom