Spare rear wheel for turbo trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

donny_07

Hi all,

Looking for some advice if possible please. I've decided to take the plunge with a smart trainer this winter, and have read that it's easier to have a spare rear wheel with a turbo-specific tyre fitted to avoid wear.

So essentially I need to buy a spare wheel for my Specialized Allez Elite 2012, and as it will only be used indoors I'd like to minimise expenditure. I've become quite confused with all the different types of wheel sizes, and various numbers that come with them.

Could anyone kindly advise what I should be looking for generally (or even better suggestion specifically) for the wheel? The specs of my bike can be found here - http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-specialized-allez-elite-12-45691/.

The wheels are DT Swiss Axis 1.0 aero.

Thanks for your help.

You are after a standard 700c road bike wheel with a Shimano freehub body.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I considered buying a training wheel but decided against it in the end. By the time I had looked at the cost of the wheel, cassette and tyre, I just didn't think it was worth it. The tyres I like to ride on the road cost me £25 each and yes they do wear out quicker on the turbo but for the amount I ride on the turbo it isn't significant enough to warrant the investment in an additional wheel.

Another reason that some people prefer a different wheel is because the trainer tyres grip the roller better, but I've never had any issues with my road tyres gripping the roller once it is setup correctly.

Top Bottom