Spare Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'd go for the new ones. It's hard to tell from the photos, but on one of them the rim looks like it's worn concave.

I'd only bother with carbon if I was racing, and certainly not second hand unless I could see them before handing the cash over.

Just so you know, the R500 are el cheapo and mine died a death well before the rims wore out, about 1.5-2k miles I started suffering spoke breakages. At the time, I wasn't the lightest rider, but didn't exceed the specified weight limit and kept them true. They are (poorly) machine built wheels. Consider saving up for some quality hand built ones (or DIY) and use your current set as spares perhaps?

I went through a similar process - I needed a pair of wheels for my winter bike. I considered used and the £100 options you are looking at. In the end I bit the bullet and went the little extra £140 for campag khamsins.

OP
OP
S

Spambotbot

Thanks, the amount of different bikes im considering is ridiculous, the 500 linked was because some other chap sweared by them, perhaps heavy on cheaper bares brunt over time, carbon was because i fancy those marathon tyres & proportionality is my fave word & filth

vickster

Legendary Member
Why do you need spare wheels? Aren’t you buying a new bike?

I prefer N+1 myself. Easier to swap bikes than wheels :whistle:

OP
OP
S

Spambotbot

Well, i want to swop between road & off road but not mtb type stuff, im also unsure of when i will get a 2nd hand bike, as i can wait like 2 months to get a bike thats nice, its winter afterall, im more feeling grizzly hibernation than road salt @ freezing @ mo, had a hard time with grief from ' last job ' & i can get wheels later, theres sum really nice road bikes for less than 500, im basically a wazuk, i had a mtb & it was 2 heavy as am i, a carbon mtb cost 3k would be nice, but i dont need suspension fork handles, theres cyclocross bikes that i can get tyres for, that roll well but retain grip, theres one BMC bike thats totality lush but nearer 1000, but its well nice

gbb

Legendary Member
Road and (light I assume) off road, tracks perhaps ?
I assume you want these wheels for light off road and that's not their normal purpose. I have a pair of 500s, done thousands of miles of all weather commuting and they're still going well now..excellent, cheap, albeit a bit heavy road wheels. One thing is they do flex a bit so not ideal if you'r getting out the saddle a bit.
There's no knowing if the campag rims would be any better for light off road work.

Top Bottom