Spare wheelset...what do I need besides the wheelset.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rsl820

I am considering getting a second set of wheels for my Trek Domane SL5. The bike comes with 32's mounted on Bontrager Paradigm SL wheels, and I expect that I may wish to sometimes use 28's. I'd like to make sure that I know all the parts I'd need to buy, in addition to the wheelset itself. I assume I would need front and rear discs, a rear cassette...but besides that, is there anything else? I assume that if I buy the same wheels, I can use the same skewers, but am I missing anything else?

Thanks in advance!

vickster

Legendary Member
Can’t you just change the tyres if it’s only occasional? It’ll be far cheaper and ultimately easier! Although I doubt you’ll see much difference between 32s and 28s? What is the reason for switching? I’d put 28s on and see if you can actually tell any difference…and if so, which you prefer

You’ll need to keep the cassettes at the same level of wear which would be difficult. You could just swap cassettes between wheels if you’re stuck on getting new wheels

Rotor sizes needs to be the same so you don’t need to change the adapters. You may need to realign the caliper when swapping wheels if there is rubbing.

The cassette needs to the same ratio ideally so you don’t need to alter the limit and b screw or resize the chain.

If your using thru axles, the wheel axles need to be the correct width as there are a couple of options, you might need converter cups.

OP
OP
rsl820

rsl820

Can’t you just change the tyres if it’s only occasional? It’ll be far cheaper and ultimately easier! Although I doubt you’ll see much difference between 32s and 28s? What is the reason for switching? I’d put 28s on and see if you can actually tell any difference…and if so, which you prefer

You’ll need to keep the cassettes at the same level of wear which would be difficult. You could just swap cassettes between wheels if you’re stuck on getting new wheels

Thanks...that is a thought that might make sense. But, still wondering, what parts are required besides the wheels themselves.

Top Bottom