SPD Multi release cleats - any alternative?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blimpnoddle

After one nasty fall too many with road pedals, I have decided to switch to SPDs, particularly after seeing the ease with which a friend was able to unclip as they fell.

However, I was rather disappointed to find that the Shimano PD M520 pedals I want only come with the SH51 single release point cleats, and if you want the multi release SH56s you have to buy them separately Is there any way to get the multi release experience without having to buy additional cleats?

vickster

Legendary Member
After one nasty fall too many with road pedals, I have decided to switch to SPDs, particularly after seeing the ease with which a friend was able to unclip as they fell.

However, I was rather disappointed to find that the Shimano PD M520 pedals I want only come with the SH51 single release point cleats, and if you want the multi release SH56s you have to buy them separately Is there any way to get the multi release experience without having to buy additional cleats?
No unfortunately not. Put a wanted ad in the classifieds to see if anyone has any. I might but won’t be able to dig them out for a bit

Personally having started with the 51s, I couldn’t get on with the 56s!

OP
OP
B

blimpnoddle

What @vickster said. I may also have a set somewhere but would need to search. Once you get used to single release you'll be fine - i don't like the multi release.
Single release is fine most of the time. I had my road pedals for nearly four years and on the few occasions I fell (thankfully never into the path of traffic) my instinct, like the majority of people, was to pull upwards. If my SPDs are single release then they are no safer than my road pedals.

vickster

Legendary Member
Single release is fine most of the time. I had my road pedals for nearly four years and on the few occasions I fell (thankfully never into the path of traffic) my instinct, like the majority of people, was to pull upwards. If my SPDs are single release then they are no safer than my road pedals.
Loosen the tension?
I’m so used to twisting to release it’s second nature. I even do it when coming to a halt on flat pedals! :laugh:

PpPete

Legendary Member
You can adjust the spring tension on the SPD pedals right down, so that even the 51s will come out with a firm pull in almost any direction.
Ultimately though, it's just a question of habituation - every time you approach a junction part of your conscious preparation just as much as looking for traffic, is to unclip from one pedal. Took me a while to train myself out of pulling my foot backwards as one had to do with old-skool toe-clips.

EDIT - beaten to it by the vickster -^_^

OP
OP
B

blimpnoddle

Never had any problem unclipping at junctions and the like. Was second nature to me. However, if a fellow cyclist standing next to you waiting at traffic lights suddenly falls onto you, causing you to fall to the side where you are still clipped in, there's not a great deal you can do. Just to clarify, unclipping was indeed second nature to me and the falls I had were all the result of the type of thing I've just mentioned.

ps - have you found that with minimum tension on older SPD pedals you were able to unclip vertically with SH 51s? With my PD R540 road pedals, even on minimum tension, they were still pretty tight.

vickster

Legendary Member
Never had any problem unclipping at junctions and the like. Was second nature to me. However, if a fellow cyclist standing next to you waiting at traffic lights suddenly falls onto you, causing you to fall to the side where you are still clipped in, there's not a great deal you can do. Just to clarify, unclipping was indeed second nature to me and the falls I had were all the result of the type of thing I've just mentioned.

ps - have you found that with minimum tension on older SPD pedals you were able to unclip vertically with SH 51s? With my PD R540 road pedals, even on minimum tension, they were still pretty tight.
Yes, and older cleats. On the loosest tension, feet can occasionally just come out

Tbh I don’t stop that close to other cyclists if at all possible (I rarely commute into London for example) and I don’t do group rides

Never used road pedals, no appeal as I walk a lot off the bike and not least as I can’t find shoes that fit

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
SH51s for me all the way. I even have the tension tweaked up to max as I have a tendency to accidently come unclipped when doing silly stunts. I have had a few offs over the years and never once found myself stuck to the bike........

OP
OP
B

blimpnoddle

Yes, and older cleats. On the loosest tension, feet can occasionally just come out

Tbh I don’t stop that close to other cyclists if at all possible (I rarely commute into London for example) and I don’t do group rides

Never used road pedals, no appeal as I walk a lot off the bike and not least as I can’t find shoes that fit

Unfortunately that is often out of one's control, particularly with the two situations you mention, a busy commute or a group ride (as it happens about half of my falls have occurred in one or the other of those scenarios, the others when cars have jumped lights or pulled out unexpectedly).

OP
OP
B

blimpnoddle

Why would you want to unclip vertically? It sounds to me that you would be better off with flat pedals.
Human instinct. Most people (yes, maybe even some of the good folk here), when they fall, instinctively pull upwards. Unless you are a hardcore off roader, how many can truthfully say they don't?

I had considered the light release SPD SL 540s, but I'm also not a great fan of single sided pedals, and for some reason, maybe because they are entry level, the 540s always seemed to be facing the wrong way, and I found having to look down at your pedals whilst trying to engage quite hazardous on many occasions, especially when trying to get away away at busy lights..

D

Deleted member 1258

I use the light release click R's, I have a single sided pair and a double sided pair, I find they work very well.

Jody

Stubborn git
Human instinct. Most people (yes, maybe even some of the good folk here), when they fall, instinctively pull upwards. Unless you are a hardcore off roader, how many can truthfully say they don't?

Instinct would be put my foot to the side where I was falling. Personally I would stick a pair of 520's on and wind the tension right off unless you put a lot of effort into the up stroke. They will keep your feet in place and unclip easily.

Never tried multi release cleats so couldn't comment but surely if they release in every direction you might aswell use flats.

Top Bottom