SPD Multi release cleats - any alternative?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

OP
OP
B

blimpnoddle

Instinct would be put my foot to the side where I was falling. Personally I would stick a pair of 520's on and wind the tension right off unless you put a lot of effort into the up stroke. They will keep your feet in place and unclip easily.

Never tried multi release cleats so couldn't comment but surely if they release in every direction you might aswell use flats.
You're right. the instinctive movement is actually more of a sideways movement. Whatever it is I couldn't unclip. From what I've read it seems the SH56s will release in most directions except straight up, so hopefully that would include the direction most of us instinctively move to when we fall.

I've actually received the 520s now so I'll probably do what you mention, back the tension right off and see how that goes. I've also found out that the person who I saw unclip so easily the other day when they fell had older 51s, so I guess as they wear they loosen up.

Jody

Stubborn git
I've used them. They're pretty much like riding ordinary SPDs in terms of feel and operation, but the engagement and release is somehow "softer" and less positive. I know that sounds stupid, but it's the best way I can describe it.

Whether "you might as well use flats" is true in a more general sense - I'm keeping well out of that one!! ;)

It’s only based on my lack of knowledge of multi release thinking about it in too simplistic terms.

I see what you mean about a soft release.

OP
OP
B

blimpnoddle

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've briefly tried clipping in and out of the M520s in the garden and they have the advantage over my old road pedals that it can be done quite easily without having to look down. On the lowest tension they are also quite a bit looser than my road pedals on their lowest tension so hopefully the 51s will be easier to clip out with if I start to fall.

Multi release cleats are a game changer. The ability to be able to just step off the pedal, as if it were a flat, with a slight flex of the foot, is not to be understated. I’ve had several ‘unplanned emergency stops’ caused by Ninjas, dogs, ninja dogs, and idiot children on ‘stunt scooters’. The ability to get out of the pedal, more quickly, afforded by the multi release cleats, has saved a few bruises, and scraped bike episodes.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd stick with the standard cleats - they still release easier than road pedals, and, like everyone else have said, wind the tension back at first. You may find the multi release come out too easily

iandg

Legendary Member
@blimpnoddle just found a pair of multi release cleats in a drawer. No bolts or the oval washer thing tho'. If you want them PM me an address and I'll post them to you FOC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom