SPD or SPD-SL?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You are not alone. Although I've got clipping in and out of the SPDs on my mountain bike sorted, I just don't seem to be able to crack the SLs on the road bike. They're fine once clipped in, but I often struggle when setting off at lights etc. Practice is probably the key.

I can't say I have noticed the SLs being more comfortable or powerful either, even taking into account the rigid soled road shoes vs cheapy MTB shoes.

For leisure rides on the road bike, I think I'll stick with the SLs (as you say, they look the part) but if I commuted regularly, I'd consider switching to SPDs. Fortunately, I bought shoes that will cater for both.

I'd say similar, clipping out with SLs isn't a problem for me but clipping in can be :blush: I have SL's on my better bike, performance is slightly better but tbh I couldn't say if that was more to do with the bike and how I feel on it (psychological) rather than the shoe/pedal combo, but I suspect the former. As for looking the part, on my training bike I use A520 touring pedals (spd) and I think they look just as good as sl pedals.

OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Cheers peeps. I have decided it is wider (A520) pedals and SPD road shoes :biggrin:

adscrim

Veteran
Cheers peeps. I have decided it is wider (A520) pedals and SPD road shoes :biggrin:

Is the contact point on the A520 not the same size as the M520, it's just that the 'cage' on the other side of the A520 is designed to support a flat shoe. I think the design still expect the user to be wearing a treaded shoe (MTB/touring). Surely if you want road shoes get road pedal, it's all about personal pref after all. I like road shoes and pedals, the group I train with don't do cafe stops because we're all time pressured so walking in them isn't a problem. I know at least one person that can knock out a sub 20 min 10 in SPD's and MTB shoes.

OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Is the contact point on the A520 not the same size as the M520, it's just that the 'cage' on the other side of the A520 is designed to support a flat shoe. I think the design still expect the user to be wearing a treaded shoe (MTB/touring). Surely if you want road shoes get road pedal, it's all about personal pref after all. I like road shoes and pedals, the group I train with don't do cafe stops because we're all time pressured so walking in them isn't a problem. I know at least one person that can knock out a sub 20 min 10 in SPD's and MTB shoes.

I'll need to look into that I that I though the cage was proud of the SPD clip and not the other way around. Either way it will be Road type SPD pedals and shoes (when I can afford then)

If it helps I use my A520's with stiffered soled bg mtb sports and I snapped a few pics to perhaps give you an insight into them.
100_5075.JPG
100_5077.JPG
100_5078.JPG
100_5079.JPG
100_5080.JPG

OP
OP
A

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
If it helps I use my A520's with stiffered soled bg mtb sports and I snapped a few pics to perhaps give you an insight into them.
[attachment=5361:100_5075.JPG]
[attachment=5362:100_5077.JPG]
[attachment=5363:100_5078.JPG]
[attachment=5364:100_5079.JPG]
[attachment=5365:100_5080.JPG]
Thanks very much indeed :smile:

Mr Celine

Discordian
I use SPD on my Sirrus and SPD-SL on my Roubaix. I've never noticed any efficiency gains but what struck me was the weight difference. Road shoes plus SPD-SL were ~400g lighter than trainer style shoes with SPDs - it was so noticeable I did actually weigh them. :blush:

I use SPD on my Sirrus and SPD-SL on my Roubaix. I've never noticed any efficiency gains but what struck me was the weight difference. Road shoes plus SPD-SL were ~400g lighter than trainer style shoes with SPDs - it was so noticeable I did actually weigh them. :blush:

Inspired by this post I weighed my shoes and there's not much in it the right BG mtb sport (SPD) is 406g and the right carbon soled (SPD-SL) is only a tiny bit lighter at 390g, according to wiggle the A520 SPD's are 330g and the 105 SPD-SL's are 325g.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I've had both and was able to test them.

Basically, as said before SPDs are great if you have to walk. SPD-SL's are also easy to use and I had no problem to clip in or out of or even walk wearing them (funny thing is the high heel sound they make). The main advantage is the fact that SPD-SLs spread the load over a larger area resulting more power applied to the pedal.

I decided to keep SPD with MTB shoes. The main reason for that is because my shoes are very stiff. Therefore it provided a slight efficiency gain

If you have a more flexible shoes you'd be better off with SPD-SL because of their wider pedal platform.

Basically, stiff shoes = SPD. More flexible shoes = SPD-SL.

Now nothing stops you using a more flexible shoes with MTB but I believe it can be a bit uncomfortable and less efficient.

Your first point in bold is not strictly true. How does having an SPD-SL pedal make you suddenly produce more power due to load spread? It doesn't!
The larger spread means more confidence in putting down a lot of power at once and more comfort at putting that power down due to the large platform not creating a hot spot.

Your second point in bold is pretty much rubbish. Why are SPD-SL type shoes more flexible? Why would you use more flexible shoes with SPD-SL?
My SPD-SL shoes have a carbon fibre sole and it is impossible to bend them at all. Adding a stiff sole to a large platform = win win.

rockyraccoon

Veteran
Your first point in bold is not strictly true. The larger spread means more confidence in putting down a lot of power at once and more comfort at putting that power down due to the large platform not creating a hot spot.

Wasn't that what I wrote?

Your second point in bold is pretty much rubbish. Why are SPD-SL type shoes more flexible? Why would you use more flexible shoes with SPD-SL?

I don't think it was rubbish. It worked for me! Read the sentence above that one.

If you're going to use flexible shoes you'd be better off with SPD-SL because of their wider pedal platform and as you said they give more confidence and comfort when pedalling allowing more power to be applied to the pedals.

About my second point, again read the sentence bellow that one where I mentioned flexible shoes with MTB pedals it can be a bit uncomfortable and less efficient.

Of course, a combination of stiff sole and wider platform it is a win win one. However all that comes at a high cost compared to other options available.

GAVSTER

I used spds for years and had no real problems apart from on longer rides (more than 150k) getting slight knee pain.

I now - particularly for longer rides - use SPD SL with float and have no knee pain at all.

I think that SLs with the ratchet cranked tight gives me confidence to pedal out of the saddle at high revs too.

My advice is borrow shoes and a bike from someone and try both - I will still use both and for commuting I'll probably stick with SPDs and my Shimano MO86s with single sides touring pedals.

GAVSTER

I used spds for years and had no real problems apart from on longer rides (more than 150k) getting slight knee pain.

I now - particularly for longer rides - use SPD SL with float and have no knee pain at all.

I think that SLs with the ratchet cranked tight gives me confidence to pedal out of the saddle at high revs too.

My advice is borrow shoes and a bike from someone and try both - I will still use both and for commuting I'll probably stick with SPDs and my Shimano MO86s with single sides touring pedals.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Never tried MTB, I decided on the SL's merely on appearance, and commute in them without much problem at all. Clipping in becomes natural 95% first time strike rate now, the less you think about iot the better it gets!

Top Bottom