SPD or SPD-SL?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's tons of threads about it but IMO there a slight efficiency gain with Spd-sl's and a fair bit of walkability loss.

rodgy-dodge

An Exceptional Member
Finaly got around to changeing mine I've opted for the spd pedals But bought shimano Road shoes. I was able to put the spd cleats on these and also got the choice with them should I want to go over to SL's. However, being road shoes I still have the problem with walking in them on smooth surfaces! but that aside and waying up the pro's and Con's I don't intend to do much walking with my bike anyway :unsure:

rockyraccoon

Veteran
I've had both and was able to test them.

Basically, as said before SPDs are great if you have to walk. SPD-SL's are also easy to use and I had no problem to clip in or out of or even walk wearing them (funny thing is the high heel sound they make). The main advantage is the fact that SPD-SLs spread the load over a larger area resulting more power applied to the pedal.

I decided to keep SPD with MTB shoes. The main reason for that is because my shoes are very stiff. Therefore it provided a slight efficiency gain

If you have a more flexible shoes you'd be better off with SPD-SL because of their wider pedal platform.

Basically, stiff shoes = SPD. More flexible shoes = SPD-SL.

Now nothing stops you using a more flexible shoes with MTB but I believe it can be a bit uncomfortable and less efficient.

Trickydicky

Basically, stiff shoes = SPD. More flexible shoes = SPD-SL.

Now nothing stops you using a more flexible shoes with MTB but I believe it can be a bit uncomfortable and less efficient.

This is confusing! Due to SPD being designed for mountain biking and more flexibility and road shoes being made to go fast in a straightish line and SPD-SL are made for Road use!!! Also the stiffest of road shoes do not have compatibility with SPD, I wonder why?!?!?!?

As a side note, SPD-SL cleats get damaged a lot quicker than SPD!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
it is confusing.

Basically - if you have a road bike and go for long rides then SPD-SLs will offer more rigidity and transfer more power to the pedal. But........SPD-SL red cleats will perform better than yellow cleats. But..........many people prefer the yellow cleats (personally I hate them) because there is 'float'.

But......as TD says, the cleats wear out really rapidly and are very expensive. So, before going the SPD-SL route consider other systems.

rockyraccoon

Veteran
This is confusing! Due to SPD being designed for mountain biking and more flexibility and road shoes being made to go fast in a straightish line and SPD-SL are made for Road use!!! Also the stiffest of road shoes do not have compatibility with SPD, I wonder why?!?!?!?

You're right. However that is my personal preference after trying both.

Some spd-sl shoes will accept spd cleats as well as spd-sl cleats.

I use MTB shoes/SPD pedals on a road bike. That gives the walk-ability desired and the stiffness of the carbon sole of my shoes allows me to apply more power to the pedals and avoid some discomfort such as hotspots.

Trickydicky

You're right. However that is my personal preference after trying both.

Some spd-sl shoes will accept spd cleats as well as spd-sl cleats.

I use MTB shoes/SPD pedals on a road bike. That gives the walk-ability desired and the stiffness of the carbon sole of my shoes allows me to apply more power to the pedals and avoid some discomfort such as hotspots.

What model of shoe do u have?

PpPete

Legendary Member
From the point of cycling efficiency the stiffer the shoe the better......(whether it's road or MTB, SPD or SPD-SL)

If you have a naff shoe that is insufficiently stiff, then the wider platform of the SPD-SL style should go some ways to compensating.
SPDs on shoes that are not stiff enough are uncomfortable, especially on long rides, and no doubt inefficient.

Except for the really competitive I don't see any noticeable efficiency loss with SPD and good stiff shoes....and, for me, the walkability far outweighs any potential downside.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I tried SPD-SL on my roadie, one to try and get around my ongoing "hotfoot" and two, because it looks better
whistling.gif

Anyway, I stuck with them for a while, there was no reduction in hotfoot discomfort, no increase in power that I noticed but lots of awkward moments with me struggling to engage the cleats crossing busy roundabouts.
After one such incident where I got uncomfortably close to being flattened, I admitted defeat and went back to SPD.

Saying that, I must be a special case an everyone else seems fine with them, but they certainly weren't for me.
Oh, and of course, the difficulty walking in the things! a terminal breakdown miles from home would've been most unpleasant, compared to just a major inconvenience in SPD's.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I've gone down the SPD route with M520's on road bike and EBC's old double sided pedal on
MTB (they don't seem to sell them now, SPD one side flat the other). I bought some Lidl MTB shoes for ease of walking and some dhb R1's (they take both 2 and 3 bolt cleats) which I can walk in though not that safely. If I want to go to shops etc. I'll wear the Lidl's
whistling.gif

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Flogging around at the back of the pack on the CC Hereford/Hay on Wye ride finally persuaded me to buy some SPDs - so stop raising the bar AFS!

siadwell

Guru
I tried SPD-SL on my roadie, one to try and get around my ongoing "hotfoot" and two, because it looks better
whistling.gif

Anyway, I stuck with them for a while, there was no reduction in hotfoot discomfort, no increase in power that I noticed but lots of awkward moments with me struggling to engage the cleats crossing busy roundabouts.
After one such incident where I got uncomfortably close to being flattened, I admitted defeat and went back to SPD.

Saying that, I must be a special case an everyone else seems fine with them, but they certainly weren't for me.
Oh, and of course, the difficulty walking in the things! a terminal breakdown miles from home would've been most unpleasant, compared to just a major inconvenience in SPD's.

You are not alone. Although I've got clipping in and out of the SPDs on my mountain bike sorted, I just don't seem to be able to crack the SLs on the road bike. They're fine once clipped in, but I often struggle when setting off at lights etc. Practice is probably the key.

I can't say I have noticed the SLs being more comfortable or powerful either, even taking into account the rigid soled road shoes vs cheapy MTB shoes.

For leisure rides on the road bike, I think I'll stick with the SLs (as you say, they look the part) but if I commuted regularly, I'd consider switching to SPDs. Fortunately, I bought shoes that will cater for both.

Top Bottom