SPD pedals on a carbon road bike - will it..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A Cyclist

Über Member
..look odd..? Is it a sin to have SPD pedals (2 bolt ones) on a carbon road bike?
my reasons to incline towards SPDs' are:
1) used to SPD pedals for nearly 2 years, and never tried SPD-SL pedals.
2) I don't want to buy another pair of cycling shoes for SPDL-SL
but they are a bit heavier/bulkier than SPD-SL pedals though.

anyone had a similar situation..? appreciate any thoughts..

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Just use SPD. Either option is acceptable unless you're a proper racer!

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
It's your bike- and once your shoes are in place even people looking won't be able to tell. Just do it.
(I say this to make myself feel better when I do it tomorrow on my new flat bar road bike, lol)

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Guilty as charged! Well, guilty of putting old SPD pedals onto a new carbon bike. But I promise to put shiny new ones on just as soon as Wiggle get their act together over a faulty product.

OP
OP
A Cyclist

A Cyclist

Über Member
I am looking at the A600 ultegra type SPD pedals just to go along with the groupset. Ribble has them under 50 quids :cursing: but no stock at the mo.

Thank you all for your views

boydj

Legendary Member
I now have 3 pairs of Speedplay Frogs, which are two-bolt pedals used with MTB or Touring shoes. If you are going to be doing any kind of walking, then mtb pedals make sense. Unless you are a serious racer, there is no real penalty in using mtb pedals, there are a lot more options in the shoes available, and they are generally just more practical.

Buzzinonbikes

Just do it. No problems at all and far more convenient. The vast majority of people don't needed the added stiffness or whatever from SPD-SL over SPD I don't think.

Top Bottom