SPD shoes for road cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have the Tahoes. Quite new to them and SPDs so not done any long rides but they seem fine and are perfectly comfortable for walking around in - although even with the recessed cleats, they are a bit clippity cloppity especially if the surface is a bit rough or gritty. Can walk normally in them however :smile: They are quite heavy, like a walking shoe, but would look fine with jeans or whatever unlike the pimpy road shoes

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Chuffy also uses the Shimano RT 81s and and has used them for touring, commuting, day rides, long Audaxes etc, they seem to be very hard-wearing. In the past I've used Specialized Sonoma for long day rides, commuting, and have even rambled round bits of Exmoor in them, but this year's design comes up a bit wide for me so have just bought a pair of Specialized BG Sport Touring shoes which might also fit the bill. The sole is a bit stiffer than the Tahoes and Sonoma but still easy to walk in.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've done long rides and walked for a few hours in various SPD shoes over the years.
I finally killed a set of Lidl ones after 6 years of hard use.

OP
OP
B

badgerjockey

Über Member
Right, some great advice here, thanks to everyone. I have gone out to my LBS and tried on a few pairs.

The Tahoe were too soft for my riding so I went for the m077. They even said that they will match online and other shop prices so I had a quick check on the internet via my phone and found fatbirds.co.uk doing them for £48.99 - the LBS had them for £69.99. So a bargain and a happy customer.

I've only been round the block a couple of times but they feel very comfortable, well ventilated and sufficiently stiff (although no carbon sole etc).

Not sure how much extra contact there really is with the A520s but we shall see. Now time to fiddle with the cleat settings.

Cheers again.

H

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've done long rides and walked for a few hours in various SPD shoes over the years.
I finally killed a set of Lidl ones after 6 years of hard use.
I used to ride in Sidi shoes with Look cleats but have now switched over to SPDs for most of my riding. I like the Sidis so if I could afford it, I'd buy a pair of Sidi SPD shoes, but TBH - my ALDI SPD shoes are perfectly functional; they are just marginally less comfortable than my Sidis were and look a bit cheap. Not surprising because they cost about £15 rather than £150-odd!

Top Bottom