SPD shoes for road cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

badgerjockey

Über Member
OK, hopefully won't rattle too many cages with this one so be gentle!

I am new to road cycling having been MTBing for years. Some friends got into road bikes in the last year or two and it began to tickle my fancy... I fell in love with a Genesis Equilibrium 20 and recently took the plunge...

I have the plan to work up to joining Audux rides in my local area (Bristol and Somerset) as there is some lovely looking riding territory down here. The bike came with the shimano A520 SPD single sided touring pedals with the support frame. I decided I might as well keep them rather than changing to Looks etc as I am only starting out. Plus, I still want to be able to walk around without teetering about or tapping everywhere, so I thought I would go for an MTB shoe as my first foray into clipless.

I know its a bit unconventional, but does anyone have any recommendations for MTB shoes which are up to the job of road cycling? I reckon in a day's ride I would spend 80-90 of the time on the bike, the rest will be at a pub or shop for a stop/rest etc. I suppose I am particularly worried about the possibility of hot foot but I have no idea if I am susceptible to that as yet.

I have thought about the Specialized tahoe or the Shimano m063 but not tried either and would prefer anyone's thoughts on the matter.

Cheers,

H

Tyke

I just started on SPD on my road bike about 650 miles ago with cheap Lidl shoes £15. I'm getting on a bit in age so don't go mad but I'm good for 30+ miles and some walking without any problems.

It's just a case of finding them in the shop when you need them but they keep coming up in my local shop not just on cycle weeks.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Welcome :thumbsup:

I put SPD pedals on my new road bike about eight weeks ago and fell off a couple of times. I was not looking to win races, just to be able to ride and walk about. I chose these shoes.... just like slightly stiff trainers and perfect for everyday use, on and off the bike. They will not win the TdF, but as a shoe to start out with, you could do a whole lot worse.
http://www.evanscycles.com/products...oogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

Good luck.

Chris.IOW

Wiggles dhb shoes are comfortable and good value. I use a pair of their MTB shoes with Time ATAC's.

+1

I have the dhb MTB shoes and use these on my road bike with SPD pedals. ( how many initials!) have found them very comfortable even on hot days. I've done some long days in them 100miles plus and they were fine.

Not worn them much off the bike but sure they would be fine for walking short distances in.

zexel

Veteran
I've got the A520's and also got these Shimano RT81, a SPD shoe without the tractor tread sole.

- A road style lightweight sport touring shoe with sleek rubber sole and standard SPD cleat mounting system
- Specially designed sleek looking full rubber sole with minium tread helps to keep weight down, yet provides good grip on smooth surfaces
- Additional recessed cleat design aides walking
- Glass fibre sole insert provides stiffness and support when pedaling
- EVA insole provides added support and comfort
- Breathable nylon mesh and sythetic leather upper
- Buckle closure provides a snug fit and the ability for subtle adjustment, and two offset hook-and-loop straps give added comfort and support without pressure points
- Great lightweight choice for touring or commuting use
- Reflective detailing on the heel help keep you more visible in low light conditions

OP
OP
B

badgerjockey

Über Member
Thanks guys for all the help on this one.
I guess it's a case of stop trying to make my mind up a just buy something. Then learn by experimentation... I am not looking for maxiumum efficiency but good stiffnes will be desirable.

I like the look of the Specialized tahoes because they are a bit more causal and when I'm riding to work (25mi each way) I probably won't have to organise it so there's a pair of shoes already there. Plus when I go for long rides, I'll be visiting shops, cashpoints, pubs etc or generally walkng about towns... Maybe even pushing up the odd hill - hopefully not!

However, I don't want hotspots, foot paind or too much flex while on the bike... which may well be the case with the tahoes!

I think I'll just have to go into Bristol and try on a load in the many bike shops there...

Cheers,
H

Willo

When I was looking around a couple of years back I was advised to get a stiffer soled MTB shoe to support the foot on longer rides etc. I tried loads of shoes but struggled to find a fit that I was happy with. Anyhow, as a result I paid more than I'd intended for some Sidi Dominator 5 MTB shoes. They have a rigid sole akin to a road shoe but have the benefit that I can walk in them for commuting etc. They're not as good for walking as some other shoes, but they may offer the balance you're looking for in terms of a spd compatible shoe for a road bike.

Holdsworth

Über Member
I have been using the cheap Lidl shoes and Shimano M520s for a few months now with no problems. I commute 9 miles each way and occasional long rides up to 85 miles so far without issues.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Hazzeryoda

I use A520s on my commuter, and Specialized BG expert shoes. They are a bit too rigid for more than a cafe stop though, and you end up doing the "duck thing" . The "BG" sport range are all well made capable shoes with rigid soles. I also have the Tahos for off-road riding, and to be fair if you like the look of them then they are fine with the A520s.... the whole idea of the pedal surround is to provide a larger contact area.

You have hit compromise country. Trainer types will flex too much for long rides on ordinary SPD giving you hotspots, competition type MTB shoes will be too rigid to walk in for long distances. The pedal meets you halfway with a trainer type shoe like the Taho.

How about Shimano AM 45's?
14wuba1.jpg

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
OK, hopefully won't rattle too many cages with this one so be gentle!

I am new to road cycling having been MTBing for years. Some friends got into road bikes in the last year or two and it began to tickle my fancy... I fell in love with a Genesis Equilibrium 20 and recently took the plunge...

I have the plan to work up to joining Audux rides in my local area (Bristol and Somerset) as there is some lovely looking riding territory down here. The bike came with the shimano A520 SPD single sided touring pedals with the support frame. I decided I might as well keep them rather than changing to Looks etc as I am only starting out. Plus, I still want to be able to walk around without teetering about or tapping everywhere, so I thought I would go for an MTB shoe as my first foray into clipless.

I know its a bit unconventional, but does anyone have any recommendations for MTB shoes which are up to the job of road cycling? I reckon in a day's ride I would spend 80-90 of the time on the bike, the rest will be at a pub or shop for a stop/rest etc. I suppose I am particularly worried about the possibility of hot foot but I have no idea if I am susceptible to that as yet.

I have thought about the Specialized tahoe or the Shimano m063 but not tried either and would prefer anyone's thoughts on the matter.

Cheers,

H

Welcome to the forums. I do 200 km rides using spd shoes. Got a pair of dhb ones that are good for road rides , nice and light and stiff sole.

Also got a pair of Lidls specials that I have done a 200 km Audax in no problem, Unless you are going for racing or time trialling etc the mountainbike shoes are much more practical off the bike.Especially for Audaxing where you will need to go into pubs /cafes etc to get your card stamped .

Top Bottom