SPD-SL shoe/cleat problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marxist_fixie

Proper tea is theft [with apologies to Prodhom]
Hi.....i can clip in and out using SPD-SL shoes cleats.....well up till today.....I have 2 pair of shoes.....Shimano are fine, clip in and out...both feet......but i have a pair of Northwave winter boots......and the problem is with my left foot of the Northwave boot.....the one i clip in and out of when i stop.....having not mastered track stands.....i can clip in...no problem...but when i try to clip out...i can't.....foot seems stuck.....I have made sure the tension is at the minimum on the pedal [the pedals are 105 SH-5600].....and there is no muck on the pedal or cleat....i have moved the cleat about...front, back....left, right......no difference......but here is the odd bit and this goes against Shimano unclipping instructions.......they say and i have always done so is unclip using an outwards movement of the heel.......what works is an inward movement of the heel.....when i do that the shoe comes out easily......but why is this happening?.....Have i damaged the pedal?......my other shoes [Shimano]....work fine is i use an outward movement of my heel [though, i can unclip with an inward movement too]......sorry for the long winded story.....any advice/explanations to what is happening....or what i should do?.....The cleats are tightly bolted to the shoe and i am using it on the correct foot......cheers.....hope someone can help!:tongue:.....ps..this has nothing at all to do with a Brooks saddle!!!

AlanW

Guru
marxist_fixie said:
Hi.....i can clip in and out using SPD-SL shoes cleats.....well up till today.....I have 2 pair of shoes.....Shimano are fine, clip in and out...both feet......but i have a pair of Northwave winter boots......and the problem is with my left foot of the Northwave boot.....the one i clip in and out of when i stop.....having not mastered track stands.....i can clip in...no problem...but when i try to clip out...i can't.....foot seems stuck.....I have made sure the tension is at the minimum on the pedal [the pedals are 105 SH-5600].....and there is no muck on the pedal or cleat....i have moved the cleat about...front, back....left, right......no difference......but here is the odd bit and this goes against Shimano unclipping instructions.......they say and i have always done so is unclip using an outwards movement of the heel.......what works is an inward movement of the heel.....when i do that the shoe comes out easily......but why is this happening?.....Have i damaged the pedal?......my other shoes [Shimano]....work fine is i use an outward movement of my heel [though, i can unclip with an inward movement too]......sorry for the long winded story.....any advice/explanations to what is happening....or what i should do?.....The cleats are tightly bolted to the shoe and i am using it on the correct foot......cheers.....hope someone can help!:tongue:.....ps..this has nothing at all to do with a Brooks saddle!!!

I really wish.......... that I could help you......... but to be honest......... I'm struggling to read..........or understand it.............. with all the dots....not helped........by no breaks.....or......paragraphs.......etc........sorry.....:laugh:

OP
OP
marxist_fixie

marxist_fixie

AlanW said:
I really wish.......... that I could help you......... but to be honest......... I'm struggling to read..........or understand it.............. with all the dots....not helped........by no breaks.....or......paragraphs.......etc........sorry.....:biggrin:

oh!......good luck with the literacy classes.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Check the wear on the cleat. They wear down after a while, which generally makes it easier to clip out, by can also in rare cases cause the cleat to become difficult to pull out.

You may need to take a file to them.

I have always uncliped with an inward motion - I think that Shimano advise the other way so as to avoid contact with the frame - it does the pedal no harm from what I can see.

weevil

You should be able to twist out inwards or outwards.

Have you checked that the centreline of the cleat isn't skew to the line of the shoe, as this could bias the unclipping?

If you haven't done so already, try clipping/unclipping the shoes whilst not wearing them. This not only allows you to have a really close look at (and listen to and feel of) what's going on, but it also means that you can check alignment without any of the bias your foot might otherwise cause.

OP
OP
marxist_fixie

marxist_fixie

gaz said:
Check the wear on the cleat. They wear down after a while, which generally makes it easier to clip out, by can also in rare cases cause the cleat to become difficult to pull out.

You may need to take a file to them.

The cleats are new and installed a couple of weeks ago...problem only began today.

OP
OP
marxist_fixie

marxist_fixie

accountantpete said:
I have always uncliped with an inward motion - I think that Shimano advise the other way so as to avoid contact with the frame - it does the pedal no harm from what I can see.

Ahhh...that's interesting.......i was practicing unclipping with an inwards motion and on one attempt....i did catch the frame and there was a mild wobble and kick back...i did not fall......only thing under pressure of a car behind.....i went into auto pilot and used a outside movement but it was very very difficult to exit.....so it will be a re-programming exercise......but why is the outward motion all of a sudden so very difficult?

OP
OP
marxist_fixie

marxist_fixie

weevil said:
You should be able to twist out inwards or outwards.

Have you checked that the centreline of the cleat isn't skew to the line of the shoe, as this could bias the unclipping?

If you haven't done so already, try clipping/unclipping the shoes whilst not wearing them. This not only allows you to have a really close look at (and listen to and feel of) what's going on, but it also means that you can check alignment without any of the bias your foot might otherwise cause.

Thought it was ok but I will check this again tomorrow and report back.....cheers

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I would still check the cleat. if you not having the issue with the other shoe, and you are with this, then it's going to be the cleat or the shoe that is the issue.

OP
OP
marxist_fixie

marxist_fixie

This morning.......i stripped down the cleats and found a burr on the front of the left cleat.....but not on the right one......could that be the cause?....i have filed it down and about to give it a go.....report back later.....hopefully!

OP
OP
marxist_fixie

marxist_fixie

The problem has been resolved.....on two levels.....Firstly.....i found a 'pronounced' burr on the front of the left cleat....i filed this down till it was smooth.....When i trie it out my foot unclipped my easier......Secondly.....a technique issue......when looking on the internet for a solution, i noted it said that when one unclips from SPD-SL pedals one should do so when the pedal is at the bottom of the cycle stroke......i have always unclipped at the top of the cycle stroke.......So with the burr removed [due to frequent in and out actions] and unclipping at the bottom of the stroke......unclipping is again easy and safe.......So thanks for all the advice and suggestions.....Cheers y'all

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
marxist_fixie said:
The problem has been resolved.....on two levels.....Firstly.....i found a 'pronounced' burr on the front of the left cleat....i filed this down till it was smooth.....When i trie it out my foot unclipped my easier......Secondly.....a technique issue......when looking on the internet for a solution, i noted it said that when one unclips from SPD-SL pedals one should do so when the pedal is at the bottom of the cycle stroke......i have always unclipped at the top of the cycle stroke.......So with the burr removed [due to frequent in and out actions] and unclipping at the bottom of the stroke......unclipping is again easy and safe.......So thanks for all the advice and suggestions.....Cheers y'all

I was woundering how you were clipping out by moving your foot inwards with the crank arm in the way :biggrin:

At least the issue is now resolved. As i said, always check the cleats first :smile:

OP
OP
marxist_fixie

marxist_fixie

gaz said:
I was woundering how you were clipping out by moving your foot inwards with the crank arm in the way ;)

At least the issue is now resolved. As i said, always check the cleats first :biggrin:

To unclip with an inwards movement requires the merest movement of my foot....perhaps a few centimetres and with minimal effort......only if i pull hard inwards does my foot hit something and caused the bike judder.

All i can think is that by constantly clipping in/out at the bottom of the cycle stroke i have been progressively deforming the front of the pedal.....hence the burring.....so the burring is the symptom and not the cause......the cause is the constant unclipping/clipping at the top of the pedal cycle.......now waiting for my theory to be demolished!

Top Bottom