SPD vs SPD-SL or LOOK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had a search on this but didn't find any threads so apologies if already covered previously.

I have SPD pedals on my road-bike and was wondering whether there is any real difference between SPD and either SPD-SL or LOOK, performance or comfort-wise.

Aesthetically I think the LOOK pedals looks sexier than SPD but don't think that would fully justify changing my pedals and cleats over from SPD!

Or are clipless systems all much the same?

(Why are they called clipless when you clearly clip in to them?)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
if you get off the bike a lot (touring and the like), spd are probably the best bet.

if you ride 50 miles and walk 10 feet to the café, get look/spd-sl. the power transfer is a lot better and they are actually easier to get in and out of, especially in a spill.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
I'll let someone else anser the clipless bit..
the 3 bolt cleat systems SPD SL and Look et al ... work better for road work imo.
I do use SPD shoes and pedals every so often as well.
SPD SL .. they is quite large but hey they are on the undercarriage and no one looks...
Combined with a carbon sole you have really a very secure and solid platform to perform sprints and fast paced climbs putting in a lot of effort with the knowledge that you are secure.

OP
OP
T

trustysteed

thanks ased and ias

i ride 50 miles and walk 10 ft to the front door when i get home! do you clip out the same way with SPD, by turning your foot out?

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Yes and as mentioned actually easier to get in and out as well
.. also if you go SPD SL .... route .. my advice get cleats with some float...
helps with knees to self align and not have them tracking out of line which can cause knee problems with the surrounding tissue.
This assumes that you have a good riding technique in the first place however.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Correct.. cleats come in a range from 'float zero to varying degrees of float'
It's not a case of looseness.. you dont really notice it at all.
But having ridden with no float that aint for me... I could feel the difference in the way my knees were forced into a certain track line.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
I've only ever used SPD-SL, so can't comment on the other's, but, as much I love them, I go through them in no time.

The cleats have a nice slightly raised platform which are okay to walk on for shorts stretches, ie; food shopping on the way home and they also make me slightly taller! But! I am now on my third pair since January as they wear down bloody quick!

I am going to change to Look Keo types soon as you can get "Cleat covers" for them, alas, i've not seen any yet for the SPD-SL's.

So really bare in mind your actually walking and walking surfaces..

lazyfatgit

Think they're called clipless because there are no toeclips.

I had looks on my last road bike, and found them easier to clip in and out of than spd, which i have on the tourer. Power transfer is better too with the stiffer soled shoes. (but might be my spd shoes are just softer). only real downside is they were murder for walking in - especially lugging the bike up stairs.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I am going to change to Look Keo types soon as you can get "Cleat covers" for them said:
Beware - Keo cleats are amazingly slippery on some sufaces - tiles and hard stone for example. They seem to start wearing as soon as you put your foot down. Not sure the covers make all that much difference, and they make the cleat higher. You could try Keo 'grip' but they are much more expensive and have heard that the grip bit wears off very quickly anyway. In spite of all this I still prefer them!

Top Bottom