SPDs on Road, Flats on MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
Can't ride off road without SPD or more recently Time. I just don't feel secure and therefore not safe. I have ridden clipped in since 1991 and couldn't be doing with changing now.

On the road, I have just about switched fully to Time pedals now.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Yep

MikeW-71

Veteran
Is this normal? I've got single side spd pedals on both my road bike and my MTB, however I'm much more comfortable in flast on the MTB. Especially when it gets lumpy / slippy. Are there any other "dual discipline" cyclists on here who go clipless on the road but on flats when off road?
Same for me. Clipped in on the road, flats off-road. :smile:

D

Deleted member 23692

Single sided SPDs on the road (A600) and BMX SPD platforms off road (M647)

razer17

I run a double sided pedal on my roadie. I like not having to use my cycling shoes if I'm just popping out or something. I clip in most of the time though. And I run flats on my MTB. I need to get some better pedals for my new bike, because my current ones are awful.

Motozulu

Über Member
Started with SPD's and have this year started using flats, must admit I prefer flats, the SPD's are now on the S/S rigid MTB. Don't have a road bike and in the summer I'll probably use the SPD's more, but while it's so slippy - flats are best off road.

Flats will be staying on the mtb.
The longtail utility bike has single sided pedals, whether I use the spds depends on how far I'm going and if it's worth getting the shoes out.
Road bike double sided spd. (not spd-sl !! :eek:)

Think that makes me Mr.Average

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Can't ride off road without SPD or more recently Time. I just don't feel secure and therefore not safe. I have ridden clipped in since 1991 and couldn't be doing with changing now.
Me too. I ride SPD on all my bikes and I would feel in danger and out of control if I rode flats for a proper MTB ride. The amount of control it gives me when hoiking the bike around the technical stuff is reassuring. I guess a lot of the confidence when using SPDs comes from having great balance, I don't have to instantly put my foot down when I come to a stop.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I'm spd-sl and spd on my road bike and single speed, and flats for the full susser. My shins have the scars and dents from years of DMR V8&12's pins abuse to prove it :cursing:. Despite this I still prefer flats for the mtb riding I do, which is more all mountain, trail centre, urban assault *cringe* than spinny, racy, not jumpy or technical XC, where I'd chose spd's. I prefer the bigger platform for landing jumps, and its easier to fling a leg out quickly for last minute balance changes or styling it like a boss:becool: with platforms.

And of course in mtb sometimes you just need to get off quick to avoid that rapidly approaching tree/fence/(insert personal nightmare of choice here^_^)

Also despite never having had any, part of my mind can't stop thinking of various bone snapping, teeth smashing, knee tearing clipped in crash scenarios that further put me off, but that probably says more about me than the pedals:whistle:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Get the right shoes and flat pedals and it's as near as damn it being clipped in anyway - just with the luxury of being able to dab when you need it!
Get the right shoes and clipless pedals and set 'em up properly and it's as near as damn it being on flats anyway - still with the luxury of being able to dab when you need it ;)

Motozulu

Über Member
Get the right shoes and clipless pedals and set 'em up properly and it's as near as damn it being on flats anyway - still with the luxury of being able to dab when you need it ;)

You're talking to someone who started out on spuds ;) for XC and bimbles I agree entirely - spuds.

As I've got a (bit) quicker and more daring though even on the loosest setting I cannot get my feet clear in time for an effective dab and even if I did, getting them back in with the next feature fast looming can be near disastrous!

XC/fire road climbs=SPDs
Anything gnarlier than above=V12's and Tevas.

Close thread. :okay:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
You're talking to someone who started out on spuds ;) for XC and bimbles I agree entirely - spuds.

As I've got a (bit) quicker and more daring though even on the loosest setting I cannot get my feet clear in time for an effective dab and even if I did, getting them back in with the next feature fast looming can be near disastrous!

XC/fire road climbs=SPDs
Anything gnarlier than above=V12's and Tevas.

Close thread. :okay:
Each to their own. Of course you MUST be a faster rider than I ever was/am on the gnarl. And I am a mere XC bimbler and always have been. Those are the only possible explanations. ;)

Top Bottom