SPDs on Road, Flats on MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ootini

Is this normal? I've got single side spd pedals on both my road bike and my MTB, however I'm much more comfortable in flast on the MTB. Especially when it gets lumpy / slippy. Are there any other "dual discipline" cyclists on here who go clipless on the road but on flats when off road?

Yeah me. Grippy pedals and boots on the mtn bike. That way if I come to a sudden dead halt in a mud pool, I don't fall sideways into it. I may or may not have heard this happen to someone :whistle:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Is this normal? I've got single side spd pedals on both my road bike and my MTB, however I'm much more comfortable in flast on the MTB. Especially when it gets lumpy / slippy. Are there any other "dual discipline" cyclists on here who go clipless on the road but on flats when off road?
Not being a trail centre hound my off-road sketchy riding on the mtb only ever comprises a small % of any mtb ride, such that I prefer to clip out on the sketchy bits and stand on the platform and clip in the rest of the time.

If you ride sketchy a lot, fair play, flats have their place.

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

If you come to a dead halt in said muddy pool why don't you clip out and put a foot down? :eek:

I thought that too, but then on my last ride I plunged in to a puddle much deeper than expected which bottomed out the forks and stopped me dead with absolutely no warning. I'd have no hope trying to unclip and get a foot down that fast.

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

When it comes to grippy pedals there seems to be a massive gap between cheap and expensive. SPDs kind of make sense as you're buying a "mechanism", where as a flat is a flat isn't it? Why are some £100+

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It went sideways and the key word is sudden. I also discovered I'm far less adept with my right foot than my left.
I will not tempt the spud-gods by debating the speed at which one can unclip, nor will I discount the fact that sometimes, no matter how long you have, you just can't unclip.

But then I've put a foot down in a muddy pool before now only to discover the bike was standing in the (relatively) shallow bit and terra firma is some way below me and I'm falling over "splash" any way.

Last edited:
When it comes to grippy pedals there seems to be a massive gap between cheap and expensive. SPDs kind of make sense as you're buying a "mechanism", where as a flat is a flat isn't it? Why are some £100+
Weight and quality. My cheap Wellgo's are heavier than some other DMR pedals and far less smooth. They are also chunkier and uglier than the DMR's. I think the DMR's are V12's, so not the most expensive ones.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Quality of manufacture. Where they are made and who makes 'em. Quality of bearings and spindle, seals, etc. Quality of anodising is anodising is your thing. Funky design. Ability to rebuild. Replacability of studs. What the market will bear. Et cetera.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I thought that too, but then on my last ride I plunged in to a puddle much deeper than expected which bottomed out the forks and stopped me dead with absolutely no warning. I'd have no hope trying to unclip and get a foot down that fast.
In those circumstances odds are you're going down anyway.

And dare I suggest approaching water hazards, of depths unplumbed, in a more cautious manner?

OP
OP
Ootini

Ootini

The current pedals are nasty single sided wellgo copies. Cost me a fiver. I'm thinking for the wider spikier MTB flats the NukeProof Electrons look like good value.

Top Bottom