SPDs on Road, Flats on MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
Almost always use SPD's regardless of where we are riding. Although I am equally as comfortable using flats.

Get some saint pedals there superb and have long and short pins for more manly leg gashes..
seriously good pedal.

They probably can't beat my old flats for manly gashes. I have many a scar in my shins to prove.
ody-bw-prp.jpg

Motozulu

Über Member
Yes, very good and I'm sure you know I never implied that at all.

I obviously meant as I'VE got faster. My fast could very well be your slow.

Still, never mind, you got to be all ironic on the interweb so job's a good 'un!

Cubist

Still wavin'
Depends on mood. Any distance and mixed terrain and it's XT trail pedals, either bike. Playing in the quarry and it's Nanotech thrupins and Five Tens

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
They probably can't beat my old flats for manly gashes. I have many a scar in my shins to prove.
ody-bw-prp.jpg

I like the look of those :becool:

I`v recently had some Conspiracy VP458 put on my mtb. They`re big scary buggers I can tell you, but provide fantastic grip.

large_conspiracypedals01.jpg

The bloke at my LBS that put them on said "you`ll know if they come back at you" :laugh:

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
Double sided SPD on the road and on the MTB for me, I experimented with flats but couldn't do with the random foot slip & bouncing feet off the pedals, I do have the spd's on the MTB set slacker than the road bike though.

Motozulu

Über Member
When I started on flats I also nearly gave up cos of the bouncing feet. Stick at it - it ain't the flats it's you! once your technique improves it won't happen again. Remember - heels down and light hands - heavy feet! once you get that nailed it's a piece of piss!

Venod

Eh up
When I started on flats I also nearly gave up cos of the bouncing feet. Stick at it - it ain't the flats it's you! once your technique improves it won't happen again. Remember - heels down and light hands - heavy feet! once you get that nailed it's a piece of piss!

It is the flats, my feet don't bounce at all with SPD's and I am quite happy with them in all situations and no new tecnique to learn.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Lol now thats foooking He Man, mine are whimp scars compared to that!!, theyare good at removing and slicing skin
I can only attribute the geometrical pattern of pinholes to the Nanotechs though. The rest of the scarring is down to using my leg to write off a Metro that pulled out in front of my ZXR750 .....

Motozulu

Über Member
Fair enough Afnug - so basically you don't want to use flats then. If I can master them any bugger can - but if you are happy on spuds then that's fine. Speaking for myself it's good to be able to use either, as both have merits and disadvantages over each other, so depending on what riding I am doing, it's good to have a choice.

Mike!

Guru
I prefer being clipped in on both road and MTB but I use flats on the MTB as it also carries out family riding and pub duties :-)

I like the look of those :becool:

I`v recently had some Conspiracy VP458 put on my mtb. They`re big scary buggers I can tell you, but provide fantastic grip.

large_conspiracypedals01.jpg

The bloke at my LBS that put them on said "you`ll know if they come back at you" :laugh:
My son had some of them on his trial bike.

IMGP0805.jpg

I took 'em off after that and went to pinned.

Top Bottom