Spec me a fixie: budget £1.000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
Just been on to Brick Lane Bikes and sent them this email:-

'Hi
I've been looking at your website and admiring the lovely fixed-gear bikes and spoke to xxxx yesterday regarding purchasing a fixie. I have a budget of no more than £1,000.
If I list roughly below my requirements, perhaps you could advise whether you could help?

Size: A compact frame with plenty of seatpost showing. I have an inside leg of 30 inches and ordinarily ride a 20 - 21 inch 'diamond frame' bike or 16 inch mountainbike. Rear facing drop-outs. Colour: would prefer black and would prefer too, that as far as possible, all components are black. Straight, or straight-ish forks (just like the look!).
Steel: 853 or similar.
Gearing: 72 - 73 inches or thereabouts.
Handlebars: straight with Cane Creek 'Ergo Control' bar ends.
Brake: Hope mini disc on front with lever on the right. No rear brake.
Wheels: handbuilt. Spokes, rims and rear hub at your discretion. Hope front hub.'

I don't want it for racing: just want a minimalist machine I can blast round the country lanes on, BUT, it's got to look and feel right.
I'm an experienced fixie rider.
What would your specs be?

Andy Pandy

For £1k I would go for a planet-x carbon track bike with a drilled (for brake) front fork. Lovely. Pity I don't have the legs to match it.

Have you looked at the Cotic Roadrat? Might be what you're after (it's definitely what I'm after, if I ever talk myself round to it) although it's a lower grade of steel iirc. £260 for the frame and forks means loads spare for nice wheels and bits.:smile:

andygates

I love my Mercian 653 track iron. Lugless is very minimalist and clean too..!

Or you could get a Langster and a lot of beer!

dudi

I love my fixie..

it has cost me about £50 so far.

I'd love to spend a grand on one...

It would have to be black, as it is proven to be the fastest colour. preferably a matte black finish too... just like it that way.

I'd go for a nice titanium or carbon, skinny old school looking track frame, with straight forks.

Lovely black deep dish wheels, with the 20 spoke, thick black spoke patten.

Black seatpost with a black Spesh toupe saddle.

chrome cranks, chainring & sprocket though, like a bit of detail on there.

No idea about what brands i would buy, but it would be awesome looking.

simonali

Guru
I'd advise against looking at the Crumpton fixie or you'll be tripling your budget and wondering how much a lightly used kidney goes for on the black market! :biggrin:

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
Chuffy said:
Have you looked at the Cotic Roadrat? Might be what you're after (it's definitely what I'm after, if I ever talk myself round to it) although it's a lower grade of steel iirc. £260 for the frame and forks means loads spare for nice wheels and bits.:thumbsup:

Thanks for your comments everyone.

I will certainly investigate the Roadrat.
Brick Lane Bikes have been quite dilatory in responding to my emails regarding my intended purchase and I'm wondering now whether they actually want my custom or not.

Thedude

They probably get a lot of enquiries. It would be better, especially as your spending such a large sum of money to actually visit a few shops and seeing what geometry, size, aesthetics suite you.

rustychisel

Did you sign the email 'Love, Betty Swollocks'?

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
Thedude said:
It would be better, especially as your spending such a large sum of money to actually visit a few shops and seeing what geometry, size, aesthetics suite you.

I have a number of bikes and know exactly what I want size-wise and I can see it in my mind's eye.

Of course I signed the email 'Love betty'!

Disc brake because It'll be the only brake and I want to be certain of stopping in all weathers and besides, I like the aesthetics.

Still not heard from BLB:sad:

betty swollocks said:
Disc brake because It'll be the only brake and I want to be certain of stopping in all weathers and besides, I like the aesthetics.
If (when) I get my Roadrat it's going to be built up as a singlespeed with a disc on the front. Like you said, better all weather braking, plus some of the lanes round here can be pretty filthy in winter.

andygates

Front disc as your only brake? I sense some panic headers. At least a bit of mush gives you the time to sling your arse off the back... :biggrin:

/old_curmudgeon

Top Bottom