Speccing a Dream Bike - Long Term Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Thanks Nick, I think the pendulum has swung over to titanium for now but I seem to have hit another dilemma which may only see resolution via 2 bikes. I can foresee the rapid spread of unhappiness if I have a lovely weekend ride but not so 'cute' for the commute. The answer to this was staring me in the face. I need a VN Amazon Rohloff for commuting on and a Serotta Legend for weekends.

This is where my accounting skills really come into their own. I've thrown together all the variables, don't buy new car as planned and run existing into ground, no golf holidays for a couple of years, savings on petrol/rail fares. When you add all this together budgeting £3.5k for the Amazon and £5k for the Legend, leaves me quids in.

Add to this my modern business acumen, ie the ability to ignore the glaringly obvious variable, that I'd be even better off doing all that and not buying the bikes.........and we're there:biggrin:

NickM

Veteran
Well, MacB, without wishing to sound patronising I think you are at an early stage of your cycling life to be spending £8.5k on bikes... I've been cycling 25 years, and the bike that has given me most pleasure is my second hand Kingcycle, acquired less than 5 years ago. It isn't exotic and wasn't expensive, but by having it I have done lots of interesting things, here and abroad, and made many friends who I probably wouldn't have met without it.

Your Serotta, if you get it, will feel less and less special as you get used to it. Worse, it will make your other bikes feel sluggish by comparison.

There is an argument (a well-founded one, I think) that you get more for your money by spending it mainly on experiences rather than artefacts.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

NickM said:
Well, MacB, without wishing to sound patronising I think you are at an early stage of your cycling life to be spending £8.5k on bikes... I've been cycling 25 years, and the bike that has given me most pleasure is my second hand Kingcycle, acquired less than 5 years ago. It isn't exotic and wasn't expensive, but by having it I have done lots of interesting things, here and abroad, and made many friends who I probably wouldn't have met without it.

Your Serotta, if you get it, will feel less and less special as you get used to it. Worse, it will make your other bikes feel sluggish by comparison.

There is an argument (a well-founded one, I think) that you get more for your money by spending it mainly on experiences rather than artefacts.

points well taken though, on the flip side, why suffer through miles on inferior machines when it's within your capability to address this? I know that fit, spec and build quality are the biggest impact for comfort. I know that I could achieve this with a much lower spend. I also know myself and that I would still hanker after the bling.

If I continue cycling then I have no issue with the spend, if I don't, well, it won't be the first expensive mistake I've made, and I'm sure re-sell values would be ok. Realistically just by cutting out petrol/fares, golf fees, golf trips and golf gear I'll avoid spending £6k this year. These cut backs are time, not financially, motivated, I can't spend all the time I am riding and take time for golf as well, at present I prefer riding. If I stopped smoking for a year I'd pay for the amazon by that alone.

I know, I could end up all the gear and no idea, but, hey, I'll live:biggrin:

oh, and I didn't feel patronised at all, seemed like genuine advice and help to me

NickM

Veteran
Well, I'm happy that you like cycling so much! And planning the perfect bike is a hobby of mine too. One that has lasted for many years, and shows no sign of being worn out...

But, having had bling, I still question whether "more enjoyment" is necessarily to be had from "more expensive". Good enough seems to be plenty good enough, in my experience - it's what you do with it that really counts. I'd recommend joining some sort of cycling club (they're not all speed-orientated - maybe your local CTC group?) and seeing what other people like, and talking about why they like it.

In the meantime... if I got on better with uprights, I'd just buy one of these to tide me over. You could go anywhere on it - think of the skills to be learned, and the adventures to be had! And it's a great colour :angry:

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

sorry Nick that colour doesn't do it for me.

I've been reading up on Cyclefit in London and seems pretty positive, anyone here got any experiences with them?

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

craigwend said:

Oh, you people wound me sometimes, so callous, so careless of my feelings. You want me using a bell and Nick thinks I should lie on my back while pedalling:biggrin:

So, Paul Hewitt have confirmed that Van Nicholas can do a custom Yukon frame, to PH's specs, and modified to accept the Rohloff hub. That covers the commute and wet weather rides.

The weekend bling will be the Legend SE by Serotta via Cyclefit, which will have a derailler setup, and probably full Ti not the carbon stay option.

Despite my current setups I will be looking at more traditional drops(I want a bar bag at it's a real bugger to fit to butterflies), have found a widget to allow fitting off the Rohloff shifter to the flat part of the bars. Would expect shallow drops to suit me better but will see what PH advises.

Timescales, I'd hope one or both can be ready by September, but some long lead times for appointment fittings.

ta for the help

NickM

Veteran
A custom Rohloff-ready Yukon will be a great choice. You lucky man! And I would certainly trust Paul Hewitt to build it up - MsM's Yukon came from him.

For drops I recommend the 3TTT Forma anatomical bend. It's shallow, and has by far the comfiest shape of anatomical bit (I reckon, anyway). Currently available as Salsa branded bars:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Salsa_Pro_Road_Short_And_Shallow_Handlebar/5360029233/

An alternative strategy is to fit the bar bag behind the saddle on a Klickfix extender thingy. It's noticeably more aero back there! Works well on my commuting upright, which has low-pro bars.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Have a look at the Argon TR fitted with Rohloff, carbon drive belt and disc brakes. You could whack in a Schlumpf drive if faced with the prospect of lots of hills too. That would be pretty much a dream bike to me.

earth

MacBludgeon said:
Wasn't sure where to post this but, as I'm starting with frame, thought here would be good. As many know I now have my commute specific bike and my backup/pub bike is almost ready. My attention has now turned to the weekend and social run bike. Currently using the Giant hybrid but fancy something to aim for. Also taken on board comments from others, Dell and Aperitif especially, re a weekend bike being for fun only, and being as easy as possible. So the heavy commuter can provide my workouts and I can breeze along on something sinfully lightweight in my leisure time. Thinking a treat to myself for when I achieve weight loss and speed goals.

First choice - frame material - find myself strangely drawn to titanium but may be better served by top end steel, wouldn't rule out carbon but would want this to be robust and last. Geometry would be more to the audax/light tourer/sportive end rather than the full on race end. If I ever tour properly it'll either be by credit card or I'll get a full on tourer then.

So far have browsed Bob Jackson, Wilson, Mercian, Colnago, Roberts, Burls, Ribble, Hewitt, Dave Yates and Van Nicholas. Have also looked at titanium frames and bits from XI'AN Changda, Lightspeed and Cervelo carbon offerings.

Nothing will be decided without full fittings and tests but I wanted to narrow things down a bit first. I've deliberately not put a price bracket on, this is, after all, a treat:biggrin:

I think the bike you are suggesting is just the kind of bike I would spec for the ultimate do everything fun bike. Consider the Lynskey frames for Ti.

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Ti_Sportive_18.html

I've thoguht about this as well. Much as I like V-breaks, I decided I would do something a little different and go for disk breaks, mainly to save rim wear. I think this precludes a flat bar with flat bar shifters and break levers but I would choose wide bullhorns and cover them in bar tape rather than handle bar grips. Carbon fork and enough clearance to take 32mm tyres when necessary. Mid or Deep V rims. Eyelets for a rack are essential.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mine would be a Colnago EPS or saving a load of cash, Custom 953 stainless Rourke as a base....... very hard decision...£3.0k for an EPS or under £1.5k-£1.7k for a Rourke..... (frame only)........ nightmare..... with Super Record, Richey WCS and Fulcrum Zeros slapped on either....

Fortunately, I don't have that cash spare.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Plans are still afoot but have been revised many times since, but I can safely say that a single dream bike is off the cards. My inherently practical nature wants bling but also useability, the latest plans are:-

1. Upgrade Surly Crosscheck from SRAM IMotion-9 hub gear wheelset to Rohloff/SON 20R wheelset, with front and rear dynamo lighting. This is planned to be a black and red commuting dream machine, so red hubs and spoke nipples, black spokes and rims. Headset, BB, seatpost clamp and stem to be replaced with Hope in red. Chainset to be in black and some red BMX platform pedals to finish it off. The frame itself, and all other parts are already black. This bike will also double as a heavyweight allrounder.

2. The Giant is currently getting a sturdier wheelset on the cheap, Tiagra/Sputnik rear and Mavic A719/105 front, both 36H. This will fulfill backup commuting and pottling duties. Will have a rack on it again etc.

3. the Dawes pub bike is getting stripped/sold off and the bits I can re-use are going on my new Karate Monkey 29er. Still deciding on gearing etc, will probably be a 1x9 setup and bar end shifter, on dirt drops with cross top levers. Or I may run the I-9 hub gear on it, either way it shouldn't cost me any more as I-9 wheelset sale would cover cost of the new bits.

4. so the new weekend bike is, current favourite, a Van Nicholas Amazon, Mavic A719 wheelset, XTR rear, SON20R front, lightweight rack, dynamo led lights front and back, plastic clip on guards, 9 speed ultegra STI's on Salsa Wood Chipper dirt drops, colour scheme will be black and silver. Tektro CR520 canti's with Tektro crosstop levers as well. Still humming and hawing over the actual gearing, double, triple, super compact etc. Probably driving Paul at Corridori mad:biggrin: Latest idea is a MTB triple with road cassette, but not sure whether I can get a front derailler to work with the Ultegra and the triple setup. By my calcs I cant get this, including lights, rack and 32mm tyres down to about 24lbs in weight, without breaking the bank.

Option 1 will cost about £1900, option 2 about another £50, option 3 about another £150 and option 4 about £2600.

So I'm getting 4 bikes, as I want them, and all decent spec, for less than I'd planned on spending on the Serotta. You will also note the strong leanings towards practicality:evil: All of these bikes take big tyres, racks, guards and two will have dynamo lighting. The Giant will be complete when the new wheels arrive from Spa, the Crosscheck will be next, then touch and go between the KM and the Amazon. but hope to have all done by April/May....pictures will follow.

Glad I didn't plough ahead with the Serotta last year, I'd still have wanted the other stuff and I think Jane may have killed me:ohmy:

Top Bottom