Specialized Allez E5 2020, OR, Triban RC520? Which one to go for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having the same dilemma - Tempted by the Triban 500 myself. Do like the look of the Allez although it may be based on stock availability, so keeping an eye on a few others.
Not sure if the Allez geometry has changed since i had one, but i found it too race orientated with limited clearance beyond 25c. I traded in for a Synapse eventually which made a big difference on longer rides. Granted it did cost £2k more :wacko:

cambsno

Not sure if the Allez geometry has changed since i had one, but i found it too race orientated with limited clearance beyond 25c. I traded in for a Synapse eventually which made a big difference on longer rides. Granted it did cost £2k more :wacko:

Yes, looked at one today, great looking bike but very little clearance, especially as want 28c

Dwn

I've got the triban rc520 and the rc500. Both good but the 520 is amazingly good value for money. Definitely recommend

Not sure if the Allez geometry has changed since i had one, but i found it too race orientated with limited clearance beyond 25c.....

The 2020 Allez, certainly the Claris version now has upper rack mounts on the seat stays and mudguard mounts.

If you look on the Specialized stores web site

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/15904/2020-allez/

The wording used to be the Secteur was the touring/commuting bike and the Allez was the entry level racer, now the Allez sounds a lot more like the Secteur used to be.

What are you wanting it for? I have an older triban 500 for the commute (leaving in a open bike shelter during the day) and I love its comfort and spec/ performance for the money. If I was wanting a bike for fast group rides and it was never left locked up alone, I'd go for the racier allez.

DavesOddysee

Hey all,

New member here, looking to get back into cycling and come across this forum after a google!
I've not seen any mention anything about the Van Rysel Bike Range from many places is there a particular reason for that?

vickster

Legendary Member
The bikes are decent, sold only by Decathlon.
Don't think any have disc brakes which may put people off given the bikes are higher priced (people seem to prefer a 'big' brand' when spending that sort of money)

If it floats your boat, no reason not to buy :okay:

Gunk

Guru
They stock them at our local Decathlon, I’m pretty sure that they are Decathlon’s own brand, they seem well finished and very good value for money.

cambsno

Hey all,

New member here, looking to get back into cycling and come across this forum after a google!
I've not seen any mention anything about the Van Rysel Bike Range from many places is there a particular reason for that?

Very few reviews on the £849 model which is tempting me. Looks like a good spec and relatively light. I am undecided about rim v disc debate. Its £100 more than the Triban 520, for that £100 more you get the full 105 groupset rather than some, you miss out on disc but you gain over 1.5kg in weight.

Does it suffer from branding? - i.e. its not a Specialized or Cannondale? Have to say the pics on the site may not do it justice, doesnt look that exciting!

rivers

How far can I go?
Very few reviews on the £849 model which is tempting me. Looks like a good spec and relatively light. I am undecided about rim v disc debate. Its £100 more than the Triban 520, for that £100 more you get the full 105 groupset rather than some, you miss out on disc but you gain over 1.5kg in weight.

Does it suffer from branding? - i.e. its not a Specialized or Cannondale? Have to say the pics on the site may not do it justice, doesnt look that exciting!

Are you looking to ride the bike in any weather or just the dry? If in the dry, go with rim brakes. If you're going to use it in any weather, go with hydraulic discs. The stopping power in the wet is well worth it. My winter bike has hydraulic disc brakes, and I wouldn't trade them out. My summer bike and my TT bike have rim brakes. Both will stop in the wet, but not as quickly as my winter bike.

CH99

Regular
Hey all,

Hi there,

Im also a new member and have just got back into cycling. I bought the £849 van rysel a couple of weeks ago and first impressions are brilliant.

Incredible value, it’s amazing what Decathlon pump into it - it’s hard to see where they can turn a profit! Full 105 is amazing for £849.

I got second hand (unused) but would’ve been happy paying full price, it’s that good.

Great fun to ride. Only factor to bear in mind is the ride position (racer) and the gearing isn’t the best for steep climbs so may need tweaking if you’re based anywhere with some serious hills.

That said, couldn’t recommend highly enough.

Gunk

Guru
Hi there,

Im also a new member and have just got back into cycling. I bought the £849 van rysel a couple of weeks ago and first impressions are brilliant.

Incredible value, it’s amazing what Decathlon pump into it - it’s hard to see where they can turn a profit! Full 105 is amazing for £849.

I got second hand (unused) but would’ve been happy paying full price, it’s that good.

Great fun to ride. Only factor to bear in mind is the ride position (racer) and the gearing isn’t the best for steep climbs so may need tweaking if you’re based anywhere with some serious hills.

That said, couldn’t recommend highly enough.

My 2016 BMC ALR01 is a very similar bike, but BMC charged £1200 (now £1500) and say it's 105 but very kindly give you a non series Crankset and Calipers (which I upgraded for matching 105 5800 on my bike) you're right, the Van Rysel is astonishing value for money.

Gunk

Guru
Shame they don't still make the Peter Sagan version!

cambsno

I have to say sitting on an Allez and a tribal 500 this week I thought the Allez felt more solid and better built.

Top Bottom