Specialized Allez Sizing Help For A Shortarse Of 5'7"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jaaaaaamie

Hopefully I have chose the right sub-section for this, excuse a newbie if not!

Looking into getting my first road bike, after giving into the inevitable that Cambridgeshire offers more to me if I take up road riding than MTB'ing, and fairly sure it is going to be an Allez Sports Double.

Thing is I am not sure about sizing, as reading on the Internet I get conflicting info on whether a 52cm or 54cm Allez is right for me due to having longish legs for my height (5'7"/32"). According to Wiggle's guide to determining your reach, it turns out I have a positive ape index, which suggests I should go for the larger of the 2 frames, in this case the 54.

So with this in mind I managed to try out a 54cm Allez today, and to be honest I am still not sure. Standover etc was ok, as had an inch or so clearance. On the reach front, my arms were pretty straight when on the hoods. Felt a bit stretched out, but not sure whether this is because it is my first taste of the roadie way or because it is actually too big. The shop did have a 52cm Secteur in stock, slightly more upright geo, and while the reach felt ok, it did feel a bit cramped.

The guy in the shop said that the 54cm looked about right and that was the size he would recommend. He wasn't pushing the frame on me either as I told him I would not be buying for a week or 2.

Hopefully I am going to try a 52cm out this week if I can find one locally, but in the meantime if anyone can help me know what to look for in relation to looking for the right fit or advise what they are riding in an Allez flavour it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jamie

potsy

Rambler
I would imagine a 54cm I am similar height and have the Secteur in 54 flavour.
I too felt stretched out at first due to it being my first drop bar road bike.
Best bet is a test ride of both if you can, you can always fit a shorter stem on the 54 afterwards to help.

Welcome by the way.

cnb

Veteran
I'm 5'7" and a bit.. I have a 54cm secteur.. This seems the right size for me, I tried a 52cm and it did not feel quite right

petmcgratt

Hi there,

I am 5 foot 11 and have a 56 cm allez sport double and allez comp double. When i bought the sport in a 56 cm I thought I could get away with a 54 cm as i thought i was over stretched but when buying the comp I asked to try the 54 cm aswell and found that my elbows were hitting me kneecaps. As time goes on your body will adjust and you will be able to adopt a more aerodynamic postion. I am now in the process of lowering the height of the handlebars and still raising my saddle height ( slowly!!) to get into a lower , more horizontal position.

You will love the specialized allez!!

Peter

graham jw

If it helps, I'm the same height as you with an inside leg of 30 inches. I ride a 54 frame allez. It was my first road bike since being a teenager, (over 20 years ago)! I too felt a bit streched out but soon got used to it and now feels very comfortable. You'll really enjoy the bike.

OP
OP
Jaaaaaamie

Jaaaaaamie

Thanks for all the replies. It has helped immensely, as I think I just have a mental block on how one should feel on a bike after years of MTBs. Going to try and get a go on a 52cm, but am thinking if I can't track one down locally it will not be the end of the world and will just plump for the 54cm.

Well....maybe I should check out the 52cm......juuuuuuust in case
whistling.gif

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I am 6'1" and got a 58cm Secteur Sport. I tried a 56cm and it felt to cramped. When I first rode the Secteur for any distance I felt pretty stretched out and was thinking about swapping the 110mm stem for something shorter. However since I have rode the bike several other times I am now used to it and I have no plans to swap out the stem and find the bike pretty comfortable.

OP
OP
Jaaaaaamie

Jaaaaaamie

Alot of people seem to have gone for the Secteur, well more than the Allez. Any particular reason?

zizou

Veteran
i'm 5ft9, similar inseam and have a 54cm tarmac which i think is the same geometry as an allez.

You'll probably be fine on either a 52 or 54 but if you felt stretched on the 54 then you should at least try the 52 if possible before purchase.

I was originally advised to get a 56 at the first bike shop i looked at, felt a bit stretched on that but coming from mountain biking background i thought the different position was the reason for that. When i found out it was the only size they had left in stock i started to have my doubts. Then i saw a 52 in another ship that had about £1000 off it and i tried to convince myself that i could make adjustments to make it fit and get a great bargain. Felt really squashed on it though. Eventually get to a bike shop that measured me properly and had a good selection of sizes available and got me on a 54 which was more comfortable...obviously still felt different to a mountain bike but the size just felt right, not cramped and not stretched unlike the 52 and 56.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I tried it and I liked it, I think the secteur has a more "relaxed" riding position for all us old farts :biggrin: rather than trying to do 100 miles in full racing position ........... OOOOooooo me back ..................... but don't quote me.

This is more or less exactly why I got a Secteur. The only other bike I tried was a used Boardman Comp road bike and I hated it, having said that it was a 56cm frame which may of been to small for me. On the other hand once I got used to the Secteur I find it very comfortable riding it on the hoods. It is probably a little bit slower than an out and out road bike, but that is not an issue to me. Best bet is to try them both in the correct size. I am not that clued up on the Allez but my mate has one and he reckons that the frame is slightly relaxed geometry, but not to the extent of the Secteur. Whether this is true or not I do not know.

Garz

Squat Member
5'6" and my latest bike which I got measured on was a 54. I have short legs and long torso if that's worth mentioning, I am definitely however a short ass!

Top Bottom