Specialized Bar Phat tape or double wrap?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pa7206

Regular
Hi,

Am returning to cycle touring after quite a while, and have just managed to get hold of a Dawes Galaxy which needs some comestic work doing to it. Needs new bar tape, and Im looking at specialized bar phat tape (with the gel inserts) - anyone had experience of this at all? I remember some years back I double wrapped bars with cork tape, but top layer tended to slip quite easily, so Im a bit reluctant to do this. I get numb hands/wrists quite frequently on my current hybrid bike so am keen to improve this on the Galaxy.

vickster

Legendary Member
It's meant to be good but think it only comes in black :sad:

I used to use 3.2 lizardskins, feels and looks lovely but it wears too fast given the cost (~£25!). I've moved to a different tape (depending on what colour I want), double wrapped. Not noticed slipping (yet)

A quick search suggests @derrick uses the Phat tape

gizmo1994

I lay a strip of bar tape along the bar and cut it and tape it to bend around the corner towards the hoods. So similar in shape to the aftermarket gel pads you can buy. Then tape over the top as normal. Plenty of grip with more padding than a single wrap gives me.

For the under tape I just used a cheap gel tape from Wiggle and used the rest of it to wrap the lawnmower handle.

iluvmybike

Über Member
The bar phat does work - you can cut it to size. Bit fiddly to keep it in place whilst wrapping the bar tape around but once in place it's fine

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I use the bar phat tape too & love it. The gel pads add quite a bit to the circumference of the bars which is great for me & my big shovel hands, maybe not so good if you have smaller hands though :okay:

Newman8

Just to say... If you're getting numb hands, it might take more than thick tape. Have you tried changing your riding position - maybe getting a higher &/or shorter stem to get a bit more upright and take a bit of weight off your hands? Are you getting enough circulation in your hands - could your gloves be too tight?

OP
OP
P

pa7206

Regular
Great, thanks for all the replies. Has anyone tried the cheaper cinellli avs gel pads? Took the bike out for its maiden voyage this morning, and def need something extra. I tend to ride a lot on the tops, so don't think I will need pads on the drops, but the cinellli ones aren't shaped.

Alan O

Über Member
I've always suffered a bit from pressure on my hands, and I tried various kinds of padded tape and none really helped.

What I found works best for me, and which I'm using now, is two layers of old-style adhesive cotton tape - and a good pair of gloves or mitts (I invested in a Giro leather pair last year, and they suit me very well).

The other advantage of cloth tape is that it's relatively cheap to replace when it gets worn or just too dirty.

Used the Spesh fat stuff for a few years and liked it but couldn’t get any the last time I was looking. Went with the ODI High Performance 3.5mm tape instead with fizik gels underneath. Very comfy (especially off road) but a bugger to wrap cleanly as it doesn’t like conforming to the bends.

fr188

I’ve used it on my last bike, & it did feel better, I still after a while my left hand would still go numb,
I’ve just fitted carbon aero style handlebars on my summer bike so I hope that will help even more

Top Bottom