Specialized crank arm advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mardlinboy

Regular
Hi
My daughter has a 27.5 Specialized Rockhopper
Looks like the left hand crank arm was cross threaded and now needs replacing ... what would be a good replacement... I have googled Stout crankset but it just isn't clear what is the best replacement... Amazon have loads of cranks but again not sure what I need ... any advice please
thanks

If you mean the pedal thread is damaged then it might not be beyond use.
Try inserting a pedal from the back of the crank arm. This might recut the threads sufficiently to insert a pedal from the front.
Remember thread on LH crank is left hand thread and turns the wrong way, which is probably the source of your problem.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
What is it? Square taper, Hollowtech, Octalink? Length should be shown on the back. Easy enough to source a replacement.
Both sides unscrew towards the rear of the bike, opposite to screw on.
Plenty here:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cranks-left/?geoc=GH
People will tell you you need a crank extractor to remove the damaged one but you can just drift it off with a hammer (if ST) which is the most likely.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mardlinboy

Mardlinboy

Regular
What is it? Square taper, Hollowtech, Octalink? Length should be shown on the back. Easy enough to source a replacement.
Both sides unscrew towards the rear of the bike, opposite to screw on.
Plenty here:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cranks-left/?geoc=GH
People will tell you you need a crank extractor to remove the damaged one but you can just drift it off with a hammer (if ST) which is the most likely.
not sure.. I'll need to take the old one off and have a look ... I see replacements are either square or rhombus .. You would think this would all be clearly signed up on the specialized web site etc ... its chucking down the rain at the moment so no way venturing out to the shed! lol ...

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No worries just post a pic of the chainset and we’ll tell you what it is, whenever you can. Suspect it’s a square taper so you’ll need a crank with a ‘diamond’ cut out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mardlinboy

Mardlinboy

Regular
this is in the manual .. I assume ours would be "generic" ??
crank.PNG

Cycleops

Legendary Member
this is in the manual .. I assume ours would be "generic" ??
View attachment 572436
Not really. This appears to be for their S-Works spec which is their top of the range bike. Your Rockhopper is rather more humbly equipped.
However your previous pic looks more like yours and does have a square taper. Make sure by removing the retaining crank bolt, you’ll soon see what it is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mardlinboy

Mardlinboy

Regular
All sorted... I'm now the proud owner of a crank puller too 👍
Thanks for your help folks.

Top Bottom