Specialized Dolce Elite - too much bike for casual cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ktp

Regular
Hi all - newbie here from SW London.
Have recently returned to cycling after a few years away and decided to buy a road bike after a few trips out around my local Richmond Park and a couple of Sportives on my MTB have become a bit frustrating on the speed front.
After a lot of research and trying out various men's and women's road bikes, I decided the Specialized Dolce Sport would fit the bill, but am very tempted to go for the Elite for the additional £200 as am buying through the Cycle to Work scheme so will be good value.
My main concern is basically around over-speccing myself given most of my riding will be around the Park, signing up for a few more sportives, and when I feel up to the miles and the traffic, commuting into central London for work.
I know that I'll need to look after the components, but don't want to ruin nice kit because I'm too new to everything to know what I should be doing.
Any thoughts or advice?
Many thanks, Kate

Kate - it's not possible to over-spec a bike... :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
By the best bike you can afford - you'll want to ride it more :smile:

If considering commuting, check whether it can take mudguards and possibly a pannier rack if you need to carry more than a few small things

I am guessing the Elite has better gears (groupset) than the Sport. I think carbon forks are a must for horrid London roads myself

I was in a similar situation to you (120 mile DunRun on my folder). I had decided that Tiagra was minimum spec, just didn't like the look of Sora. So I agree with your choice. I don't think Tiagra is overspecced.

I actually decided to not even look at Spesh, as they charged the same for Sora as other makers charged for Tiagra. Settled on Giant for myself.

Edit: Vickster and myself exchanged notes on our purchases

OP
OP
K

Ktp

Regular
Thank you all :smile:
I think I know that I will ultimately go for the better bike but good to have this reinforced!
Vickster, yes, the Elite has the Shimano Tiagra groupset and the Sport has the Sora. Both have carbon forks and the Elite also has carbon seatstays. Both can take mudguards and a pannier rack so would be fine for commuting.
Am hoping to try a Giant Avail at my LBS tomorrow so will compare how it feels with the Dolce.
Will let you know what I go for...

Zakalwe

Don't worry about ruining components, Tiagra's pretty bomb proof as far as these things go. Things that can wear more rapidly due to neglect, like cassettes and chains, are replaceable quite cheaply.

OP
OP
K

Ktp

Regular
Good to hear that Zakalwe!
Thanks Vickster - CS have some good deals at the moment if you fit what's left of their stock. I'll try the Avail tomorrow. Have a CS near work - they have been very helpful with all my questions. Hope ok to buy a discounted bike with C2W voucher - will check thanks.
Would be good to have a female SW London pootle when I am kitted out - will that offer still stand if I go for the Dolce? ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
Depends how quick you are and if you like regular coffee stops ;) I could always get the carbon out of the mothballs if the weather's nice:bicycle:

OP
OP
K

Ktp

Regular
I'll let you know how quick (or not) I am when I get my bike! if it's laps of the park, lack of speed hopefully won't be too much of an issue as I can do less laps and more coffee stopping ;)

Not an answer to the bike question, but make sure you check out the small print on the Cycle to Work scheme, and understand all the ins and outs... ours is no longer running, but you signed up to it, had the bike on hire, but had no right to cancel the agreement, had to repair, maintain or replace it at your own cost, and have to pay a reasonable market value at the end. Had I known about all the details, and not been so greedy, I would never have used the scheme.

vickster

Legendary Member
C2W is not as good as it was a few years ago, although better if a higher rate tax payer and some schemes are better than the other. If you find the right bike somewhere and discounted, it may work out more favourably sticking it on an interest free loan or credit card and paying off monthly. I think you can still save a hundred or two, but certainly insure it.

I considered it, but don't want to tie myself to my employer!

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
I bought the Dolce Sport back in January over the Trek Lexa and quite like it even though it's been sat all forlorn with a puncture since June. I really must fix it in time for this SW ride :whistle:

No idea what Tiara and Sora even means so that wasn't an issue for me and I bought it because I like the two sets of brake levers.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well that could be 4 SW girlies for coffee (and a bit of cycling) - I'll try to sort something else once my tennis elbow is sorted - I am expecting a month lay off as of this afternoon :cry:

Top Bottom