specialized plug and play fenders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jimpy85

I decided to buy these in the end because of the limited choice on the diverge and failing to get a crud roadracer mk2 to fit. I thought I could come up with something to make them quiet if the noise was an issue.

How the hell are you meant to fit these to the Diverge Comp Smartweld!

First of all I've had to take the front fender to a bike shop, to have the mount rivets drilled out, as I couldn't do it with a hand drill myself! I wasn't too pleased with having to do this as I've read Specialized have said themselves that the Diverge was built with the Plug n' Play in mind.

Now I have nothing that fits into the screw hole in the fork centre (underneath) to mount the fender to, nothing in the pack fits this hole!

Also the mudguard black poles that slot into the frame are meant to be held in place by a dropout screw, the manual says to screw it in place with a 2mm allen key but the actual screw looks to only take a torx star T8 piece! How can they have made this mistake! Annoyingly I only have a T7 and a T9 so I can't get these held into place until I buy a T8.

Has anyone else fit these to a Diverge Comp Smartweld?

Chrisjl

I have a diverge A1 fitted with these, after the rattling became so bad I removed the mudguards. I'd originally used a rubber piece between the seat tube as this was where the rattle was coming from (the slightest jolt), all was then quiet however not long after removing them I was on the return leg of a ride when the heavens opened; this reminded me of why I'd insisted on them in the first place!
After looking at the fitting instructions online I realised that the 3 spacers that came with the kit had been placed by the chain stay bridge, by fitting one at the top by the seatstay brisge and just two at the back of the bottom bracket the guard itself was just far enough away from the seat tube - you will need some loctite on the screws to stop them vibrating loose and also ensure the cable end from the disc brakes is not touching the 'Fender stays' (american diction) as these also vibrate.
I'll let you know how I get on!

Humdinger4u

Fitted the fenders today, they fit perfectly. Only thing to look out for is the hole you have to drill in the rear one. There are markings underneath to tell you where to drill for the size of frame you have, I have a 58cm frame but had to drill the hole marked for the 56cm frame. I think these fenders are specifically designed for the secteur, but they have all the correct holes and fittings for the diverge also, just watch out for the drilling.

So these are the plug and play from Specialized not Crud guards correct? Just want to make sure, I want to order a pair.

Rick Dyer

Regular
I bought a Specialized Diverge 2016 model recently from Hargroves Cycles in Southampton. Now that the roads are getting wet I decided to get some mudguards. I particularly wanted the rather neat Specialized 'Plug & Play' ones that I have read about in one of the threads above. However Hargroves now tell me that they are unavailable, so I went online and found that even through online stores such as Tredz all I can do is pre-order them for delivery around the end of November. I'm a bit disappointed that Secialized have built a plug & Play fitting system for an accessory that they cannot or will not supply.

I managed to get some from special order via Evans cycle to work - the guy advised me that they only had a few left in the country for end of November delivery (which I managed to get!) otherwise it's Jan. They're being fitted by the mechanic this weekend onto my new Diverge A1 so I'll let you know how I get on. Maybe Specialized didn't realise winter was coming and people might want mudguards!

Took the guys at Evans about an hour to fit these which seemed to involve much drilling and swearing. The final result is excellent and very neat, well worth the effort.

If you are going to buy these and aren't too handy with a drill then probably best to pay the local bike shop to fit...

Top Bottom