Specialized Ruby Elite stolen in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisCrc

Hi Sorry to hear about your bike being stolen:sad:

It might be a long shot, But has anyone else thought about springing a trap for these bike thieves, Say leaving a couple of good bikes locked up where bikes are regularly stolen from then pouncing as they try to nick it....

Just a thought:angry:

Tharg2007

Veteran
ChrisCrc said:
Hi Sorry to hear about your bike being stolen:sad:

It might be a long shot, But has anyone else thought about springing a trap for these bike thieves, Say leaving a couple of good bikes locked up where bikes are regularly stolen from then pouncing as they try to nick it....

Just a thought:angry:

and bundling them into the back of a van? then taking them 30 miles away and giving them a good pasting before leaving them to walk home? i doubt anyone has thought of that yet.

ttcycle said:
Thanks Ed.

I saw my bike advertised on Gumtree on Sunday- called the police numbers that had been given to me and they didn't want to help- contacted the seller and was waiting on police to confirm time and place where they could accompany me- this was after several times being hung up on and told different things. To cut a long story short- lots of misinformation; diversion; 3 hours at a police station watching them avoid dealing with other people's cases; excuses etc what happened in the end is my bike got sold and I got a text from the thief stating it had gone. The idiot was also stupid enough to give me his address-which the police checked and said was genuine - there was so much they could have done but didn't. was 99% certain it was my bike- they'd taken off the pedals and the sensors but everything else was identical including the black watercage and the fact that the bike was missing a bell since the LBS forget to put it on - the advert made the mistake of saying it was a 2009 bike and got the frame sizing wrong- talked in men's bike sizing rather than women's - stupid crib story of selling this bike as my girlfriend does not like fast bikes and prefers a cruiser- then why advertise it as a carbon fibre bike for a triathlon/racing career? Also technically if someone was trying out a racer why buy an entry level pro bike?

Idiots - the frustration is unbelievable- not only is my training for racing delayed but i now have to fork out about £300 independent of waiting for the insurance to cover accessories pedals etc which weren't on my insurance schedule. Shocking that it went for half it's cost.

The police will be getting a formal complaint through several monitoring bodies.

I am venting for anyone who will listen!:laugh::blush:

I understand your frustration completely. I had a similar experience. I saw my bike that had previously been stolen leant up outside MacDonalds. In hindsight, I should have quickly locked it up, rode away on the bike I was on, and then called the police.

However, thinking the police would respond quite quickly, I phoned them straight away. The person who "owned" my bicycle came out whilst I was still waiting for the police to pick up. I asked where he had the bike from. He reckoned he had paid £60 for it. I told him it was mine and I was on the phone to the police. (It still had it's datatag sticker on it FFS). He tried to grab it and ride away. I physically blocked him and he assaulted me. The manager of the store then came out, and stopped me from stoppingthe "owner" of my bike from riding away, for my own safety.

I was absolutely gutted. But the police were ****ing useless. They contacted me 48 hours to say that they had seen the suspect riding around on my bike and that they would be picking him up. I heard nothing then for over two weeks. Then I chased it up. The officer that came around explained that they hadn't picked him up yet. Took some further details off me. I called the police another two days later. They said the had arrested the "owner" but let him go. He had claimed to be of no fixed abode and not in posession of the bike, as it had been taken to a bike shop to be repaired. That meant that they had no where to look for the bike. And without the bike - and thus proof it was my bike - it looked like I was trying to steal someone elses bike. There was no proof it was mine. The officer went on to say, as I had another bike through the insurance, the stolen bike was technically no longer mine. Through gritted teeth I informed the h'officer that the stolen bike was indeed not insured and it's replacement was bought using more of my hard earned.

Not that I'm bitter or anything.

When the police followed up the person selling your bike, did they not obtain from him details of the person that bought it? A phone number? Anything? Surely their checking it out now should be a case of getting a number, an address, popping around to check the serial number on the bike?

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Should have got outside the house and dialed 999 saying there was a fight with guns, the police and armed police would have been there in a couple of minutes.

Crankarm

Guru
Alembicbassman said:
Should have got outside the house and dialed 999 saying there was a fight with guns, the police and armed police would have been there in a couple of minutes.

+1. I've done that in the past and rather than take 4 days to turn up they take 4 minutes and not just one but several cars. The police really are their own worst enemies. Did you make a complaint as you were clearly given the right royal run around. If it were my bike I would have fought tooth and nail to keep it whether insured or not. I might have locked it up as well. But even then they still go walkies :tongue:. Sorry to hear of both losses. I really sympathise. When my Brompton was taken from outside Senate House in Mallet Street underneath a CCTV camera and D-locked I couldn't get the police to attend. When I called and told them my bike had been stolen they couldn't have been more disinterested. They wouldn't come out and I couldn't find a single police car in central london at 8pm. I even thought of doing something to attract their attention.......absolutely useless.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I recently found a stolen bike and took it to the Police, who I'm certain made absolutely zero effort to trace the owner. They simply wrote the description in a big ledger and threw the bike in a shed round the back with hundreds of other recovered bikes. The young woman clerk on the desk would have written "red bike" if I hadn't told her the details.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Thanks for this - not sure where to take it as local constabulary are not particularly helpful.

potsy

Rambler
ttcycle said:
Well, for what it's worth reported to ebay -but after the last time seems a bit pointless.
You can only do so much tt,sometimes you just have to concede defeat and move on.Remind me did you get insurance pay-out? If so I wouldn't spend too much more time stressing over it.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Thanks Ian

Potsy - I know what you're saying (kinda have bigger things on at the mo too).

Well it's reported, phoned the police and emailed the guy who was dealing with it before.If it finds its way to me then great otherwise nevermind

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
The seller hasn't taken the picture of the hoods, well there was a revision on the advert so they might have removed the picture as it identifies the bike.

The back wheel picture has had the rim sticker removed - this is definitely my bike,also it has the same grey look pedals installed which aren't mentioned on the details as well as the black specialized watercage.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
A more violent soul than I might suggest bidding on it, then going round to 'hand over the cash and collect the bike' with a few very large and somewhat grumpy companions.
Not that I'm advocating beating the seller up or anything, you understand.

Top Bottom