Specialized Tarmac and Roubaix

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gmw492

Veteran
Looking at getting a new road bike as tried a bit of casual mountain biking but miss going on the road,I previously had a Cube Agree gtc pro,I was looking at getting just an entry level bike again to start with due to price but I have seen the Specialized Tarmac SL4 racing 2014 and the Roubaix SL4 racing bikes both for £999,I know the spec isn't great for their original price but for this sale price do you think it's worth a look,opting for the Tarmac,not a pro just a keen cyclist who wants to get around on my days off,guess it's all about the money and these offer 0% finance too,I was looking at £500 for entry level so is it worth the extra
Any thoughts on these ,?
Thanks

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You really can't beat Specialized frames, they are fantastic and they offer a lifetime frame warranty, but as you have said it does mean that Spesh do skimp on the component's. However, there is no stopping you upgrading the components as and when needed to better. Then you will have a top notch bike to your own specs
The Tarmac is the more 'racier' of the two. The Roubiax has a more 'heads up' style 'sportive' frame. If you can, I would suggest you try both first.

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
Yes thanks I started off on a Specialized secteur triple at first then moved onto the cube,the secteur was a nice comfortable position and I know the Roubaix is built for comfort rides ,really want a bit of both a nice comfy position but can also do a little bit of speed in places ( my legs permitting) ,yes will have to try I don't want to be too racy position if the Tarmac makes me stretch forward but will be better for the flat than the Roubaix,yes can upgrade in future too I agree get some in the sales group sets etc....

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The Secteur would have the same geometry as the Roubaix (I know as I had a Secteur and I currently have a Roubaix), so really you just need to try the Tarmac to see how you fit it and if it's comfy for you. If too stretched out you can always get a shorter stem.

shadow master

Looking at getting a new road bike as tried a bit of casual mountain biking but miss going on the road,I previously had a Cube Agree gtc pro,I was looking at getting just an entry level bike again to start with due to price but I have seen the Specialized Tarmac SL4 racing 2014 and the Roubaix SL4 racing bikes both for £999,I know the spec isn't great for their original price but for this sale price do you think it's worth a look,opting for the Tarmac,not a pro just a keen cyclist who wants to get around on my days off,guess it's all about the money and these offer 0% finance too,I was looking at £500 for entry level so is it worth the extra
Any thoughts on these ,?
Thanks
Check out the Merida range they make the specialized frames,obviously offer lifetime guarantee even on carbon,but the specs tend to be better if full carbon fork including steerer,shimano hubs etc...not the hopeless specialized own branded axis hubs!

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
Check out the Merida range they make the specialized frames,obviously offer lifetime guarantee even on carbon,but the specs tend to be better if full carbon fork including steerer,shimano hubs etc...not the hopeless specialized own branded axis hubs!
Hi yes thanks,it's just its my local bike shop up the road which is offering the Tarmac they don't stock Merida

lesley_x

Über Member
I cannot see past the comfort of the Secteur Comp I have. I don't even want to replace it despite it coming up on 5 years old. I imagine a roubaix must be like riding along on a cloud. When I come to upgrade if ever, I will probably go straight for a roubaix. But then I like being comfortable over long distances even if that means sacrificing a little speed/aerodynamics.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I am liking the look of the Merida Reacto range at the moment but also the Scott Addict 15 with Di2.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Roubaix has same geometry as the Secteur (as said by Ian) & the Tarmac the same geo as the Allez.

Head tubes are longer on the Roubaix with slacker angles, more for Sportives or Endurance type events than the Tarmac.

Then again, there are plenty who can do 200k on a Tarmac with no ill effects.

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
Yes thanks I liked my secteur set up so Roubaix looks good,but I prob only go 50 miles tops on a ride so Tarmac would be ok if it feels ok when sizing one up,will try both see what feels comfy

Oldbloke

Guru
I cannot see past the comfort of the Secteur Comp I have. I don't even want to replace it despite it coming up on 5 years old. I imagine a roubaix must be like riding along on a cloud. When I come to upgrade if ever, I will probably go straight for a roubaix. But then I like being comfortable over long distances even if that means sacrificing a little speed/aerodynamics.

@lesley_x is spot on with this. The ride quality when I went from a full on road bike to a Roubaix improved beyond all my expectations.

Then when I upgraded the wheels to RS81s comfort increased to an even higher level. Can't see me ever wanting a change.

Try both models on a longish ride, you may be surprised at the Roubaix's capabilities

Top Bottom