Specialized Tarmac SL4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Its very rare that i write reviews or post about my experiences on x,y,z bike. As some of you will know i am now the proud owner of a Tarmac SL4 after previously quoting that i would never buy a plastic bike.

Well this year or should i say a few weeks ago that all changed. Having joined a cycle club and deciding to ride TT's i had to make a decision, ride the TT's on the Sabbath (ti) or buy a plastic super bike, that was light, stiff , good on the eye and and a beast under the hood..........

Step forward the Specialized Tarmac SL4 Sport..............

Now i have only ridden this bike twice and it has blown me away on both occassions. The first time was in my first ever TT in which the Tarmac helped me to a PB of 28:30 and the second time was on a flatish club run of 47miles with 2k feet of climbing. Both times the bike excelled from start to finish.

Lets talk about the bike, as soon as i got it of the box the red and black paint worked just popped right of the surface, better than you can ever imagine, shinny, smooth and sparkling surface, with the angled tubes and shape of the cobra style top tube was a sight to be hold. The bottom bracket and chain stays are huge and as stiff as you like, the bike just screamed ride me, i dare you........but can you handle me!!!!!

Without really knowing why and i'm not even going to try and explain, the bike is an absolute freak of carbon, it accelerates like nothing i have ever felt beneath me, yet its smoothness and compliance on the road, defies the stiffness of the frame, easing its way over the bumps, cracks and splits in the road surface.

After 47miles on sunday i got off the bike and literally felt as if i hadn't even ridden a mile. No aches or pains that most people would experience from such a race orientated geometry, the bike is just WOW!!!

IMAG0020.jpg

Thanks to @Mr Haematocrit for the advice before purchasing this bike - believe me my friends this guy knows his bikes................

Lovely looking bike that, and those wheels are to die for:thumbsup:

Stu Plows

Coming soon: Bonking on a hill near you!
Took mine out for the first time when I got it, thought there was something wrong with it because I stood on the pedals to fire off and felt like the front was washing away from me... It was purely down to how lightweight it is compared to anything I'd ever ridden. I am still learning to ride mine, but loving it more and more each time.

Little thing that has come to light with mine after having only used it for 100 miles, the headset was grinding already. I've ridden it tons more since and it seems to have not got any worse and doesn't affect the ride or anything, it's just when I turn the bars at standstill that I notice it.

Those Zipp's look absolutely brilliant on it @jowwy . Looks like they are 303 Firecrests?

I am planning to chuck some money at mine to try out some carbon wheels and new groupset and go Cat 4 racing eventually, not that I will be quick enough lol.

I have found that my stem is way too high for me though so I'm off to get a proper fit soon too.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Lovely looking bike that, and those wheels are to die for:thumbsup:
They do add a special something to the bike doodah amd they ride superbly well. Even under my 110kgs of plumpness lol

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Took mine out for the first time when I got it, thought there was something wrong with it because I stood on the pedals to fire off and felt like the front was washing away from me... It was purely down to how lightweight it is compared to anything I'd ever ridden. I am still learning to ride mine, but loving it more and more each time.

Little thing that has come to light with mine after having only used it for 100 miles, the headset is grinding already. I've ridden it tons more since and it seems to have not got any worse and doesn't affect the ride or anything, it's just when I turn the bars at standstill that I notice it.

Those Zipp's look absolutely brilliant on it @jowwy . Looks like they are 303 Firecrests?

I am planning to chuck some money at mine to try out some carbon wheels and new groupset and go Cat 4 racing eventually, not that I will be quick enough lol.

I have found that my stem is way too high for me though so I'm off to get a proper fit soon too.
Zipp firecrest 202's are the wheel of choice, again on the advice of @Mr Haematocrit

Stu Plows

Coming soon: Bonking on a hill near you!
One other thing I have to say about mine, I don't get bored at looking at the size of that downtube!

Top Bottom