Specialized Tarmac SL6 vs Trek Domane SL5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Exactly. None of those bikes are the sort I would ride anyway, but it just goes to show how much mark-up there is on the "premium" brands, despite a lot of them being pretty much the same under the skin. Some of the pricey ones are also plagued with creaking BBs and really crap manufacturing tolerances, so it's not like you are necessarily even getting a better product for all the extra cash.
is it because planet x just by generic carbon, ti, alu frames on the cheap from china.......where as cervelo, specialized, canyon etc etc would have their own R&D set-ups, different carbon wraps and overlays etc etc........

If going for Specialized, check out the 2020 model. I was looking at an Allez in my local and the 2020 model was exactly the same as the 2021 model except for the paint scheme but cost £150 for the privilege!

is it because planet x just by generic carbon, ti, alu frames on the cheap from china.......where as cervelo, specialized, canyon etc etc would have their own R&D set-ups, different carbon wraps and overlays etc etc........

I think the big companies design their own frames as you say then have them produced in Asia cheap whereas the smaller brands probably do just buy a generic ‘standard’ frame.

vickster

Legendary Member
The OP does seem to be most concerned by colour though (very sensibly ;) ) and the brand name on the frame :whistle: rather than the R&D spend and carbon lay up

vickster

Legendary Member
Suppose some feel safer with brands they recognise, know and more readily available.
Except they aren’t necessarily right now!
and that’s fine, as long as they realise they’re paying a premium for that familiarity 👍

Except they aren’t necessarily right now!
and that’s fine, as long as they realise they’re paying a premium for that familiarity 👍

100% agree

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
The Dolan Tuono looks good to me. I'm definitely going to visit Dolan since they are so local.
Do love the look of the red Trek Domane SL5 but the 105 groupset is a deal breaker.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
I've changed my mind again and now looking at these road bikes:...Specialized Tarmac SL6 - RRP: £2750...Trek Domane SL5 - RRP: £2550
You are not comparing the same model type in different brands there Distorted Vision, the Tarmac range is more comparable to the Trek Emonda range, these are both set up with quicker overall set up, bike fit included

The Trek Domane is more comparable to the Specialized Roubaix range, these being their endurance bikes, set up for longer fast comfortable miles with a more compliant set up, bike fit included. To illustrate this I did post a comparison of BikeCAD drawings in another thread between a 56cm Emonda and 56cm Domane that may help to illustrate the differences.

'Edit': shep we were obviously composing a similar response at the same time :laugh::becool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom