Specialized Tarmac SL6 vs Trek Domane SL5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
One that feels comfortable and right to me 👍

I don’t really care what you did as a kid
(I can’t recall what I did, don’t know actually if I did ride anyone else‘s bike as I had my own, nor do I actually care)

I don’t have a Brompton, have never ridden a Boris bike, and never much enjoy riding hire bikes that don’t feel right, but if it’s for a day and costs £20, I’ll live with it. But nowadays I won’t spend the sort of money I spend on most bikes if I’m not completely happy with the size

YMEV

I get what @SkipdiverJohn is saying. I could have gone 58 as I have long arms and either a 56 or 58 would have been fine. Ultimately it was stand over height that decided it as 56 was just enough and 58 gave my plums a centre parting. But if buying new and spec to suit then why not have the perfect fit so to speak. Second hand bike at a good price is different. I don’t think £350 off list price on a 2020 Domane is that good a deal though.
As kids we rode BMX, hand mi downs, all sorts but so do most kids today. You are growing though and grow at a rapid rate so just make do. As an adult you pretty much stay as you are, except for maybe some waist enlargements, so makes more sense to have a bike that fits ‘better’ especially if it’s a long term purchase.

monkers

Veteran
There ain't no substitute for a legover is there?

The Domane, being the edurance model, is the road bike in Trek's range with the 'slackest' riding position. If the rider's theoretical perfect fit is say 55cm, then I'd guess that a 56cm Domane might still be suitable; on the other hand in the case of the more aggressive Emonda, then the 54 might be a better suit, being more stretched out as it is.

I don't know the OP's measurements and preferred riding position, so I'll not get involved beyond saying that you can sucessfully reduce the reach of a bike easily enough if that's more of the problem, as I have.

vickster

Legendary Member
There ain't no substitute for a legover is there?

The Domane, being the edurance model, is the road bike in Trek's range with the 'slackest' riding position. If the rider's theoretical perfect fit is say 55cm, then I'd guess that a 56cm Domane might still be suitable; on the other hand in the case of the more aggressive Emonda, then the 54 might be a better suit, being more stretched out as it is.

I don't know the OP's measurements and preferred riding position, so I'll not get involved beyond saying that you can sucessfully reduce the reach of a bike easily enough if that's more of the problem, as I have.
Post #78
5 ft 8" and inside leg 29
Must have longish torso to go with short legs so stand over might be an issue, reach not so much

monkers

Veteran
I get what @SkipdiverJohn is saying. I could have gone 58 as I have long arms and either a 56 or 58 would have been fine. Ultimately it was stand over height that decided it as 56 was just enough and 58 gave my plums a centre parting. But if buying new and spec to suit then why not have the perfect fit so to speak. Second hand bike at a good price is different. I don’t think £350 off list price on a 2020 Domane is that good a deal though.
As kids we rode BMX, hand mi downs, all sorts but so do most kids today. You are growing though and grow at a rapid rate so just make do. As an adult you pretty much stay as you are, except for maybe some waist enlargements, so makes more sense to have a bike that fits ‘better’ especially if it’s a long term purchase.

It's actually £450 off at a time of a severe shortage, there's also the chance to make an offer. These bikes are not usually discounted either even when supply is plentiful. I'd guess that the seller has advertised it as £2100 hoping to get £2000, so just maybe an offer of £1950 might clinch it. Worth a try I'd say. If I was in the market for one of these, I'd be happy to pay £2 000 for it - but that's just me.

monkers

Veteran
Post #78
5 ft 8" and inside leg 29
Must have longish torso to go with short legs so stand over might be an issue, reach not so much

Thanks Vickster.

According to the geometry chart on the website, he'll actually need a 52 (standover = 73.5cm). So we can rule this bike out and finish that conversation I guess.

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/...omane-sl/domane-sl-5/p/28311/?colorCode=white

Having said that, and thinking about my own riding habits, I always lean the bike to one side and just put one foot down, so it still wouldn't bother me so much.

Last edited:

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Over the last few weeks or so you have shown interest in buying a £2500 new road bike, a £3600 used road bike and an £1800 new gravel bike.

It does not seem like you have any idea what type of bike you need or how much you intend to spend. Unsurprisingly this is making picking a bike very difficult. Stop looking at bikes for a while and write down what sort of cycling you want to be doing, and a top budget. Then and only then start looking for bikes that match the criteria you have written down. Having done this you might start getting somewhere.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Distorted Vision
I agree the colour and finish are gorgeous. I'm pretty sure I'm a 54cm frame. I'm 5ft 8" and 29" inside leg.

What's wrong with screwing bits of wood on the pedals? I saw plenty of folk with bikes like that in the 50s.

I think the colour and finish are superb - really like it. It's a very fair price too, worth a bit of travelling to collect. I wouldn't hesitate myself but I've had one new bike this year and very pleased with it.

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
The gravel bike was just a moment of madness - completely discard that.
Aero bikes - I just lust after because I think they look amazing.

At a practical level and in the real world, I prefer the comfort of the relaxed geometry of an endurance bike and prefer a more upright position compared to a race bike. Racing isn't really the type of cycling that interests me. Ultimately, I'm trying to get into audax. I've pretty much decided on the red SL5 2021 but I love the purple SL5 2020. As Vickster said stand over would definitely be an issue on 56cm frame. I'm a 54cm frame with other road bikes from different manufacturers (I've test ridden 54cm Giant, Cannondale and Specialized road bikes). I spoke to Trek and they advised on a 54cm but I'm going to test ride the Domane SL5 at one of the local Trek stores when the lockdown madness ends and when they get one on demo.

monkers

Veteran
I agree the colour and finish are gorgeous. I'm pretty sure I'm a 54cm frame. I'm 5ft 8" and 29" inside leg.

Fair enough DV ... here's a bargain bike for you straight from the wrapper. Your size (54), endurance bike, carbon frame, gorgeous deep red colour, all for £999. Get in, and get cycling.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/orro-gold-road-bike-tiagra-2021-/rp-prod199724

https://www.sportive.com/cycling-re...-stc-disc-review-a-superlative-endurance-bike

Last edited:

monkers

Veteran
It's a really nice bike for the price, and as you say, in a few days the op could be out riding it!

Oops. ... apologies @DRM made that reply on my phone without bothering with my glasses. I managed to mistake you with the OP.

In the OP's position, I'd pull the trigger on that bike for certain. Who doesn't love a bargain?

Top Bottom