Specialized Tarmac SL6 vs Trek Domane SL5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Oops. ... apologies @DRM made that reply on my phone without bothering with my glasses. I managed to mistake you with the OP.

In the OP's position, I'd pull the trigger on that bike for certain. Who doesn't love a bargain?
LOL I wouldn't dare get another right now, I only got my Marin Gravel bike this time last year, could well be homeless surrounded by bikes if I did!

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
Yep, that's me - longish torso, sadly short legs and big ape index (1.056 or 10cm)

Vickster hit the nail on the head. Standover is important with me. 54cm is the correct size frame with every road bike I've tested from a number of manufacturers. Issue with a 52cm frame is that I have long reach and it would be uncomfortable. Trek confirmed this also.

Just to re-iterate. I am looking for an endurance road bike. I am looking for comfort over speed. Please no one bring up gravel bikes on this thread.

I'm pretty sure the Trek Domane SL5 meets my requirements.

I did for a fleeting moment consider the Pinarello Paris. But I quickly realised I would be paying a massive premium for the Pinarello brand name. I also think the Domane SL5 in red looks better:

TxxL7Yn8-93bXg013dB3f7pFJ05q0T3TCcz9lrZ4g&usqp=CAc.png

Post #78
5 ft 8" and inside leg 29
Must have longish torso to go with short legs so stand over might be an issue, reach not so much

Last edited:
OP
OP
Distorted Vision
Last edited:

monkers

Veteran
It's got a Tiagra groupset and is 10 speed. I wanted 105 minimum and 11 speed. It's not for me.
Fair enough; too late now anyway, it's back to £1799. Nothing wrong with Tiagra 4700 btw, it works very well, and yes it's 10 speed. Having the most suitable ratios is more important than the number of speeds IMHO. Good luck anyway in getting the bike you want.

DRM

Guru
You say don’t bring up gravel bikes, by the sounds of it that’s exactly what your looking for, a comfy, endurance long distance cruiser, with a carbon frame, that you can fit 30 to 35 mm slick tyres, 2x chainset, 11 speed GRX drive train, maybe in di2 , you seem to be hung up on big brand bikes that are more racey than looking at what you need, the Orro that was linked to was ideal, you seem to be mistaking a gravel bike for an MTB, they’re not, quite possibly the best all round long distance bike out there, Pinarello , Orbea and Canyon all make them and they sound just what you’re describing

The brand and bling seem to be more important than the bike. Not the best way to buy as you may not be comfortable or happy on something that is an extension of your sausage so to speak in the eyes of your buddies:tongue: Some sound advice from people with great choices. Well worth thinking about them and doing some research into the brands and bikes suggested.
Hope you find the right bike and enjoy many happy rides:okay:

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
Nope I'm already decided on the Trek Madone SL5. I'm just waiting for stock.

Wrong brand, never won a stage of a grand tour, not carbon, wrong groupset, wrong colour, the OP should just flip a coin, heads pinarello tails trek, best of three,

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
No really a gravel bike isn't what I'm looking for. I'm only ever going to be riding on roads. I'm not mistaking a gravel bike for a mountain bike at all. If I wanted to go off-road I'd buy a MTB.

You say don’t bring up gravel bikes, by the sounds of it that’s exactly what your looking for, a comfy, endurance long distance cruiser, with a carbon frame, that you can fit 30 to 35 mm slick tyres, 2x chainset, 11 speed GRX drive train, maybe in di2 , you seem to be hung up on big brand bikes that are more racey than looking at what you need, the Orro that was linked to was ideal, you seem to be mistaking a gravel bike for an MTB, they’re not, quite possibly the best all round long distance bike out there, Pinarello , Orbea and Canyon all make them and they sound just what you’re describing

si_c

Guru
I do love the Madone - the mechanic in my LBS has the SLR6 - and he loves it. It's the one crabon bike on my list that I actually plan on buying.

That being said my next purchase is likely to be a Fuel EX.

Top Bottom