Speed Awarness Course

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
IIRC, I was under the impression that the points would affect my insurance premium so I took the £80 hit and Saturday afternoon course.

Depends on the firm bud, but the majority don't start getting sniffy until you've clocked up 6. I think having 3 points is so common now its approaching the norm.

outlash

also available in orange
Thanks for the info, TBH it was my first (and hopefully) last offence so I was a little ignorant of how things work

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm not a fan of retesting, I recon a lot of people will just do whats needed to pass then continue as before, but a regular refresher course might just prove to be a good thing, we all can develop bad habits and getting rid of those will be helpful. I've been a forklift driver for a long time and always found the regular refresher and retest beneficial.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
If your licence was otherwise clean I'd have taken the points and saved a few quid.
When I did one it was a choice of 3 points & £60 fine or 0 points and £60 fee for the course, they made sure they got the money either way (no worries with that, my bad for speeding)

My abiding memory was the utter lack of content pertaining to being aware of cyclists on the road, a couple of us were more cyclist than driver and spoke up, and the couldn't give a s**t about bikes attitude of both course leaders.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I can't see owt wrong with a refresher once in a while... or a retest for that matter.
But someone'll be along soon to say it's impossible to refresh/retest every UK driver so why bother.
I had a chat with one of the tutors afterwards. She was telling me that the chap that developed the training programme (an ex traffic copper) initially wanted to see it rolled out as a mandatory refresher course for all drivers. Unfortunately central govnt didn't have the nerve to propose this to the people and so it was adopted for "marginally" offending drivers...at their own expense.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The poor attitude of the older drivers - as mentioned by @jonny jeez in the OP - strikes a chord with me.

Years ago I passed a breathalyser after having a couple of pints.

When I took my driving docs into the nick a few days later, there was an inspector there who I know reasonably well.

From his experience, he said there are three attitudes to drink driving.

The young ones see it as a bad thing and generally don't do it.

The middle aged - like me and the copper - will sometimes drive after having a couple, but feel slightly ashamed of themselves afterwards.

A significant number of older drivers see drink driving laws as pointless and a restriction on their liberty.

If caught, they moan and whine, despite being the architects of their own misfortune.

The copper said some offend again, almost as if to cock a snook at authority.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
When I did one it was a choice of 3 points & £60 fine or 0 points and £60 fee for the course, they made sure they got the money either way (no worries with that, my bad for speeding)

My abiding memory was the utter lack of content pertaining to being aware of cyclists on the road, a couple of us were more cyclist than driver and spoke up, and the couldn't give a s**t about bikes attitude of both course leaders.
Definitely a lot of time spent on discussion attitudes towards ALL road users, in particular cyclists and bikers. It was really healthy especially for the younger guys I the room who took away a better understanding of why cyclists do some of the things we do.

It was really frustrating to compare that to the entrenched view of the older guys in the room who still blathered on about "every" cyclist having a death wish, jumping lights and causing arguments...all the time.

Off topic a bit but it was funny...they tutors asked a bunch of questions about the highway code, speed perceptions and general risk. The two older fellas on my table answered very differently to each question and were adamant that they were right...but agreed to go with the flow

When it turned out that our table actually got every question right, despite them both... they were the first to declare that our table were the winners and ignored the opportunity to understand why they were wrong.

I actually don't think that these two showed a generational difference, just attitude one.

Last edited:

blazed

220lb+
Like I say, I considered it and chose to sit the course instead. I was curious and also don't want a blemish on my clean licence ...its been like that for 20 years so I wasn't keen to leave footprints of my lack of concentration.
You've done well to dodge the speed cameras for 20 years. One lapse of concentration was bound to happen sooner or later.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
That's good to hear @jonny jeez I made quite a fuss with the post course feedback and followed it up with DVLA. It sounds like a few others have done too or the resurgence in non car use has been incorporated recently.

pawl

Legendary Member
A colleague was sent on a speed awareness course. He said it changed how he drove.
In full agreement . I did this course 3years ago and it changed my attitude to driving.

If you do attend this course you do need to have an open mind and have some of your driving habits challenged.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4003266, member: 9609"]so what had you done for them to ask you to produce?[/QUOTE]

Roadside stop in the days before computerisation of driving details.

I had no driving docs with me and was given a producer.

No idea if that's right or wrong, but it seemed fair enough to me.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There was an article in AutoExpress last week where they took twelve fully licenced drivers and got them to sit the practical test again. Half of them failed, some of them were breaking the speed limit even though they new they were being evaulated. Mandatory restesting would be interesting....

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/first-cars/93439/would-you-pass-your-driving-test-now
Some aspects of the practical test are a lottery and some examiners seem keen to mark drivers for "not making progress" if they are 5mph below the limit often.

EDIT: yes, there's two or three who get criticised for that although one passed. That one was speeding badly enough to fail rather than get a minor mark surprises me.

Top Bottom