Speed Awarness Course

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I had mine last Friday, after 2 hours I seriously considered walking out and taking the points, b.o.r.i.n.g. Maybe courses are different? Mine was awful and hosted by two of the dreariest people on earth and using technology from the 1990's, slide shows and laminated pics? Worse, I was sat next a "Don't you agree that cyclists should have number plates"? bus driver. If I didn't have to insure 3 vehicles, I'd have walked.

Pitch forks at the ready. Burn him :whistle:

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Yes you do.
Only if the insurer asks, mine doesn't but I think Admiral and their various trading names do.

Of course if the police are right and you are magically a safer driver after 4 hours of boringness then insurance premiums should surely decrease.

ozboz

Guru
I attended one last November , we were all asked what speed we doing over the limit on the road we were travelling on , every one was gob smacked when one bloke had clocked just 2 miles over in a 30 zone ,

ozboz

Guru
Thats right he was , but there was some discusion re the 10% allowance for inaccuracy , seemingly some Police Forces are a little more tolerant ,

Drago

Legendary Member
There's a (now outdated) 10% plus 2 rule, but it was only ever a guideline for prosecution, below which you'd likely be offered a speed awareness course instead. The line has to be drawn somewhere, and he crossed it. No other class of offender can get away with just a little bit, so there's no excuse for offenders against safety and society should do so either.

If people stopped treating the speed limit as a target then this scenario wouldn't arise for them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Check your speedometer against a sat nav. Or perhaps don't, if you're likely to get a speeding ticket! :biggrin:

I've done it with a Garmin bike computer - my son had it and told me the speed. The speedo is about 3 mph to 5 mph slower at 70 than a GPS. You can also check it with a smart phone.

But don't go having your phone on view and pressing buttons from now on, big fines, if a police officer ever spots you.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
But don't go having your phone on view and pressing buttons from now on, big fines, if a police officer ever spots you.
Doesn't matter whether it's on view, and doesn't matter whether you're seen, and it doesn't matter what the fine is.

Don't fiddle with irrelevant things while driving because you have much more important things to concentrate on.

Top Bottom