1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speed camera question..

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Bigtallfatbloke, 3 Feb 2008.

1. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

...erm...you know those yellow box cameras...and this is purely and totally nothing to do with me you understand...if they are facing you on the other side of the road and the camera flashes twice at you...am I ...erm I mean would somebody else be about to get a letter?

...just say it was somebody else doing about 40 in a 30 limit...erm....how many points would that cost?...:rolleyes::blush:

..bloody motorists;):biggrin:

2. Noodley

Noodley Guest

ask me again in 14 days :rolleyes:

3. Oldlegs

Oldlegs Frogs are people too.

3 points and the best revenue generators work both ways.

4. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

You may be lucky and find that the camera malfunctioned, unlikely though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Ashtrayhead

Ashtrayhead Über Member

Sometimes they are activated by the shadow of a vehicle in the opposite carriageway.

6. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

*matronly rattling of pearls and adjustment of twinset*

Oh dear. If the motorist to whom this happened is also a cyclist, perhaps he or she may wish to reflect upon how they'd feel if they were cycling along said road and a car went by too fast and too close at such a speed in such a place? Perhaps he or she may learn from the error of their ways and not do it again, as 30mph limits are there for a reason..

*more matronly rattling of pearls and adjustments of twinset*

7. Joe24

Joe24 More serious cyclist than Bonj

At first i thought you had set it off on your bike then BTFB.
    I take it this person you mention was in a car then?

8. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

no such thing as forward facing speed cameras are there, especially on the opposite carriageway, it must have been flashing someone on the other side, they mark the road up to make people think it's covering both lanes/sides

I think, fairly sure

9. Cunobelin

Cunobelin Legendary Member

How does someone drive both ways at the same time?

These are inert objects and hence cannot generate any revenue at all. They simply record the actions of the vehicle...... any revenue is generated by the motorist

10. Jaded

Jaded New Member

Yes, there are forward facing cameras. e.g. the Truvelo ones on the A14

Not on the other carriageway though.

11. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

You naughty boy, Bigtallfatbloke.

Go to campaign and drop your trousers, touch your toes and brace yourself.

12. Paulus

Paulus Getting older by the minute

Were there the marks on your side of the road as the camers went off? If so then maybe you got caught, if not then it was getting someone going the other way or your shadow.

13. Jaded

Jaded New Member

I'd be frightened of Bigtallfatbloke's shadow!

14. mondobongo

mondobongo Über Member

I was in a car once and the camera flashed at the car as it approached, but nothing came of it. Standard yellow box gatso.

Naughty people who drive too fast and get letters in the post receive 3 points and a £60 fine for 40 in a 30.

15. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

If you were on a single carriageway, then cameras can certainly be set to record pictures of vehicles travelling in either direction.