Speed camera question..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Its possible you your friend could get detected on the opposite side of the road. I have activated a camera in my locality in similar circumstances and got away with it. (there were NO markers on my side of the road)

It is also possible an oncoming car activated it.

I also wonder if, by the time you get the second flash, your your friends numberplate is out of the picture area of the camera...maybe thats how i got away with it.

Its a horrible time waiting to see if something comes through the postbox :wacko:

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Oh dear. If the motorist to whom this happened is also a cyclist, perhaps he or she may wish to reflect upon how they'd feel if they were cycling along said road and a car went by too fast and too close at such a speed in such a place? Perhaps he or she may learn from the error of their ways and not do it again, as 30mph limits are there for a reason..

...agreed. Which is why I...erm....this other guy ...is reluctantly happy to pay up ...like I said ...bloody motorists:biggrin:

Mortiroloboy

On the A339 between Newbury and Basingstoke, at the Ramsdell turn, there are two forward facing Truvelo cameras, this bit of road is a national speed limit, the cameras are there because the junction is an accident hotspot, as I understand it they can also be set to record averge speed between the two fixed points, and they face forward in order to record an image of the drivers face eliminating the need for a P22 in the case of contested driver identity i.e. when you get a company vehicle that is driven by several different drivers, and when the ticket arrives at the relevant business address, everyone denies being behind the wheel at the relevant time and date.

However on that particular stretch of road the countdown markers are on the opposite side of the carriageway to the camera, when the cameras first went up they were facing the otherway! which is very confusing.

FWIW I can drive through them and set them off without fear of a ticket, er, providing of course I'm in my works car and have got the lights and music on LOL!!!

Generally sticking to the speed limit is the best option, you won't get a fine and points, you'll save on fuel costs, you'll present less of a risk to other road users. Just leave a little earlier. Better to arrive late in this life, than early in the next;)

BFTB, fingers crossed that is wasn't a digital camera, as they ALWAYS work, but I have to say <adjusts duty belt, bends at the knees, thumbs tucked inside stab vest> I do have to agree with wafflycat, put the preverbial shoe on the other foot.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Patrick Stevens said:
Doesn't two flashes mean that it's a mandatory jail sentence? :biggrin:

Nah, they just take the car and crush it:evil: ... well that is what they should do...

I do seem to remember when the bill which introduced speed cameras went through parliament there was a lot of fuss (particularly from Tory MPs for some reason) about pictures being taken which could identify the occupants of the car. It was the driver they were worried about but the passenger. Particularly the embarrassment of being caught on camera with a passenger which their spouse did know about...

Dave5N

Über Member
I have been flashed a few times going the other way. Never had a letter though.

walker

I'm not answering a single question of yours now BTFB as your a Blues fan. I hope the council stitch you for more than the tickets worth :-)

Hairy Jock said:
Particularly the embarrassment of being caught on camera with a passenger which their spouse did know about...

To say nothing of what would happen if the spouse did not know about her. :biggrin:

Is the standard advice, "Just bury your head in my lap m'dear, so that you won't be seen on the photo.";)

Mr Celine

Discordian
Gatsos flash but truvelos don't, so this must have been a gatso. Gatsos are either fitted with a camera unit or a dummy. The genuine cameras are moved around on a regular basis.
The dummy ones have a less sophisticated radar and can be set off by vehicles in either direction, while the genuine ones only flash from behind.

So if you were travelling towards the camera and it flashed at you then it's a dummy and you have nothing to worry about. (Apart from abuse from the 'law abiding cyclists' on this forum):biggrin:

andygates

And put the sabotage on youtube. Definitely.

BFTB you daft bugger, that's your three-point warning to pay attention!

Top Bottom