Speed Difference Heavy Bike big tyres.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ive felt similar ridng my hybrid on rubino 700x35 vs bog basic mtb on standard 26 tyres to work.
less worry abt kerbs potholes leaves etc marginal comfort gain minor more effort but just spin out nicely in top

If you're riding at the highest level, maybe tyre considerations make the slightest of time difference.
For the majority of mere mortals it means diddlysquat when compared to everyday practicality and comfort

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
If you're riding at the highest level, maybe tyre considerations make the slightest of time difference.
For the majority of mere mortals it means diddlysquat when compared to everyday practicality and comfort

I agree with what you say out on my own I would go for comfort every time but being a slow rider if I want to ride with others and not hold them up too much I don't want to be further slowed by sluggish bike or tyres.

bpsmith

Veteran
Maybe, but I go back to my original point...what exactly would I do with those few minutes I might save?
Ride a bit further? There’s no fun in being faster, only to be on the bike for less time. :smile:

Tangoup51

I made a thread debating this a while ago.

My question was:

"From a Road Bike Perspective - Does a 700x32c tyre bias comfort too much over speed? or is there little difference between either comfort or speed in relation to a 700x28c tyre of the same kind."

conclusion after testing various tires:

"I didn't feel any speed penalty for all the joy and comfort the 32 gives, - But, that said, the tyres I did choose are more important than the width, you can get harder rolling, heavier 32c tyres that I'm sure would give a speed penalty in terms of feel - So its important to find a good tyre - a Good 32c tyre can easily outperform a poor quality 28/25c tyre in every single category, especially speed. "

Best VFM Road orientated 32c tyre: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...8_1510092905_05491160bbb0f33fb574309364985c39

Eventually; I kept "creeping" up the width ladder until I hit a certain threshold where you can no longer buy lightweight road-orientated tyres easily. - This occurred at the 45c mark, where everything turns into MTB / Rough Terrain hybrids tyres, so I was only able to get some nice "lightweight" road-friendly 42c tyres which, I do say bias comfort over speed by a noticeable amount.

Last edited:

Bodhbh

Guru
On my 10kg alloy Synapse on 25c tyres I go round in about 48 minutes without pushing much and about 44 if I get out of the saddle once or twice.

Just tried it on my Jamis 13.5 kg Tourer on 32 c Vittoria Touring tyres, without pushing too much I got round in 53 minutes , about 5 minutes more than on the Synapse for similar effort. (I removed the panniers but left rack mudguards etc on.)

I'm actually suprised it's that much difference.

The other thing is how do you know any difference isn't drowned out by random stuff like wind, how you feel that day, etc.? - I've been loosing abit of weight lately, and timing the 8mile commute in now and then and seeing if it makes a difference. It hasn't really, least not that I can see above the noise - which is several minutes.

pjd57

Veteran
I have two bikes . Neither are spectacular , a Carrera subway and a Voodoo Limba CX.
I am a plodder at best.
According to Strava I go through almost every segment faster on the CX .
It's not a deliberate thing as I'm not that aware of where most of the segments start and stop.

The CX definitely feels lighter and faster .

I’ve got 2 ‘heavy’ hybrids, with 35 and 37’s on them, and 4 road bikes with 25-28’s on them. On a flat course with traffic and town riding, there’s not much difference, in speeds. Throw some decent hills into the equation however, and the road bikes are way quicker.
What if you put fatter tyres on the road bikes though? Would it make much difference?

Top Bottom