Speed Difference Heavy Bike big tyres.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wouldn’t have thought it would make a massive difference.
I think over longer distances it'll be quicker as it's more comfortable so you can maintain speed but probably slower over shorter.

Slick

Guru
I have two bikes . Neither are spectacular , a Carrera subway and a Voodoo Limba CX.
I am a plodder at best.
According to Strava I go through almost every segment faster on the CX .
It's not a deliberate thing as I'm not that aware of where most of the segments start and stop.

The CX definitely feels lighter and faster .

The last ride I looked at you did was nearly all PB's.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
A few years ago most racing bikes came with 23c or smaller tyres as standard. More recently this has changed to most supplied with 25 or 28c as standard
and nearly all the big names are offering some road bikes in their ranges with 30 or 32c tyres.

I think this is a result of cash strapped councils not maintaining the roads so well and also the realization that most roadbike riders have no intention of ever actually racing.

The boundaries are blurring even more lately with so called "gravel or adventure bikes" that have 35c or bigger tyres but arent cx bikes.

Unless you have space/money for several bikes theres a lot to be said for a multi purpose bike. Ride on 28c tyres on the fast club run then swap out the tyres or wheels for bigger touring tyres clip on some mudguards and a rack , half hours work turns your bike into a light tourer or good for a day out on a canal path with the kids.

Top Bottom