Speed limit reduction 40 to 30mph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It appears that there's approval for a significant boost to safety at our nearby village of Ansty*. The news story in our local rag is here. In my view a great improvement (no doubt the BC's et al of this world will have a say ;) ). This is an awkward roundabout and the road has a poor accident record, including at least one cyclist fatality in the vicinity. I can't see how dropping to 30 over a few hundred yards, is going to significantly lengthen journey times, even in rush hour (especially in rush hour, when the road gets quite congested anyway...).

So: isn't it a pity that the police appear to object! I must say I don't follow the line of reasoning in this letter. The road already has a 40mph limit which they have a duty to enforce, why should 30 be more difficult to enforce than 40? The road safety criteria (and local campaigning) have pointed to the need for 30, for years now.

Perhaps someone could explain.

*pronounced: rhyme with "untie".

buggi

Bird Saviour
Research and experience confirms that the implementation of an unrealistic or
inappropriate speed limit is most likely not to be adhered to by the motoring public.
As a consequence, the unrealised expectations of local residents will generate
complaints to the police for enforcement action. This is clearly a Crime and Disorder
Act issue where there was previously none

Quite obviously... it all amounts to money. they can't afford to police it.

OP
OP

661-Pete

Yup, that's what I thought, Buggi. I read through Mr Plod's letter.

Illuminated signs, the sort that light up when someone approaches at excess speed, that might be a good first step. I've noticed that (some) motorists do heed such signs, even if they carry no threat of penalty. I'd go for that - the location is well-suited. Following that - dare I suggest a well-placed camera or two? Cheaper than Plod on patrol 24/7.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
South Today news on thursday morning had a thing on Police not being able to afford traffic monitoring duties... one village has drafted in local volunteers, trained by plod and given the equipment to use. I think this is the way we will all have to go over the next few years.

Top Bottom