Speed Limiters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
So should they be fitted or not ?

I think it's a good idea for blackbox technology and limiting being introduced into cars

What do others think ?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I was a little concerned to read the Head of the AA commenting that "a little speed is sometimes useful such as overtaking or filtering onto motorways"

I interpret that as being speeding is ok in those circumstances which continues to peddle the narrative that sometimes faster is safer than slower. I remember lorry and bus drivers saying exactly the same thing when speed limiters were introduced for them

Proto

Legendary Member
There’s going to be a lot of negotiation between the EU and the car manufacturers before it takes place, and will take a lot later than 2022 to introduce.

At a stroke you wipe out the raison d’etre for just about every car on the market. Ferrari will out of business at a stroke. Mercedes will find it hard to argue that their 180mph 6.3l AMG monsters are a good buy. Etc etc

Personally, I think it’s inevitable that limiters, and ultimately self driving vehicles, will be introduced, and I’m fully in favour of them, but there’s a lot of discussion to take place before it happens.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
There’s going to be a lot of negotiation between the EU and the car manufacturers before it takes place, and will take a lot later than 2022 to introduce.

At a stroke you wipe out the raison d’etre for just about every car on the market. Ferrari will out of business at a stroke. Mercedes will find it hard to argue that their 180mph 6.3l AMG monsters are a good buy. Etc etc

Personally, I think it’s inevitable that limiters, and ultimately self driving vehicles, will be introduced, and I’m fully in favour of them, but there’s a lot of discussion to take place before it happens.

No you don't. The large majority of cars are marketed not on high performance but on other features such as safety, price, comfort.

For sure, there will be a major issue for manufacturers of high performance cars but for day to day runaround vehicles (which makes up the large majority on the roads) I'm not convinced it's the big deal you imply.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It can't come soon enough; thanks to the fact that there are no Police on patrol, boy racers have lost the fear of a random catch and are flaunting the rules with disgusting impunity. Cars should definitely be limited, although I think 80 would be OK on quiet motorways while busy motorways will soon be fully "smart" anyway as a means of packing more vehicles into the same space. We are already halfway there with cars that can control their own speed in traffic by radar and smart motorways and platooning is being promoted in the USA as a fuel-saving measure for long-haul trucks. So bring it on.

What worries me the most is the burgeoning numbers of very high-performance BMWs, Audis and Mercs on the roads. These definitely appeal to a certain kind of driver - usually known as a cock - and these are the cars you see flaunting the rules most often. If these cars were limited, drivers would be free to go and kill themselves alone on race tracks, thus removing themselves from the gene pool.

Last edited:

Rocky

Hello decadence
But will it prevent boy-racers doing 60 in a 20mph zone?

A little research, to show where the problem is, would be helpful.

Sharky

Guru
Maybe in the future, technology will become so advanced, that every car will have audible speed warnings in their cars. Physical road side speed signs will become redundant and speed restrictions will become truly variable. Motorways at night when there are deserted stretches of road might allow high speeds and outside schools restrictions only during school hours. Exceeding permitted speed limits would just be reported electronically and would form the basis for a new taxation levy, depending on how much and for how long you were over a speed limit. Hit a person's wallet and you will soon curb speeding.

Rocky

Hello decadence
If the limiter has gps it should be very simple to make it road specific
Yes!! And having read a few articles, I see that is what is being proposed. From the BBC pages:

Under the ISA system, cars receive information via GPS and a digital map, telling the vehicle what the speed limit is.

This can be combined with a video camera capable of recognising road signs.

The system can be overridden temporarily. If a car is overtaking a lorry on a motorway and enters a lower speed-limit area, the driver can push down hard on the accelerator to complete the manoeuvre.

The car will not brake automatically when the speed limit is reduced, but will give the driver a visual warning instead. It is the driver's responsibility to obey the warning.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Many cars, including my own, has this technology now which I'm such could be activated with a software update.

It's about time that something was done about the problem. They should also retrofit all older cars with black boxes that transmit speed information to the Police who can automatically issue speeding tickets for constant offenders. Just pop a box on when the MOT is done.

I'm utterly sick of speeding cars and the lack of action by the police against them.

Reactions: C R

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
But will it prevent boy-racers doing 60 in a 20mph zone?

A little research, to show where the problem is, would be helpful.

It's not boy racers that are the issue. It's mainly 'business people' that are the problem, certainly in rush hour - the number of 'exec' saloons being driven badly by both men and women, is shocking, and that's at far less than 70 mph.

Top Bottom