Speed Limiters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Freds Dad

Veteran
HGV drivers are already regulated by the tachometer, which records their driving. I bet the technology for a black box in cars wouldn't cost very much; it could be GPS enabled with an accelerometer and record, say, one week of driving. Investigators could simply plug in a tablet like the ones used by garage mechanics and see everything the driver has done.

It would show what the car has done not the driver as there would have to be a way to identify who was driving at the time of any alleged offence.

Brains

Legendary Member
The freight industry has had speed limiters for years, so putting them in cars is a logical progression.

Black Box technology is now simple and cheap and could easily be added to every new car

However the GPS element needs to be looked at.
My nephew was clocked at 80mph on a single track Cornish lane (with grass down the middle).
I know the lane in detail.
Due to the multiple sharp and blind bends, even on a motorbike in my youth it was difficult to get much above 20mph,
I would not believe it's possible to touch 40mph even briefly.
The speed limit is 60mph.
I suspect the GPS has lost connection and therefore estimated a speed in a straight line between two points.

classic33

Leg End Member
It would show what the car has done not the driver as there would have to be a way to identify who was driving at the time of any alleged offence.
Local taxis have cameras fitted as part of their licence. Records everything to the one black box.

snorri

Legendary Member
Just a thought.
My car is fitted with audible alarms which cover for my relatively harmless oversights regarding, driving with the handbrake on, allowing the tank to run low in fuel, failing to close all doors correctly, failing to wear seat belts etc etc. .
Yet there is no audible alarm if I break the law by exceeding the speed limit. Yes I know there are different speed limits, but it doesn't seem too much to expect some engineer to come up with a workable solution.

Salar

A fish out of water
Just a thought.

Yet there is no audible alarm if I break the law by exceeding the speed limit. expect some engineer to come up with a workable solution.

All sat navs in cars I've had bleeped and warned of speed limits if exceeded. Some do this even when sat nav is not displayed.

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I think this will be a good reminder for sensible drivers, but those who still want to speed will still do so (either by not buying a new car or disabling the limiter equipment).

My idea would be to restrict speed in built-up areas, but to remain unrestricted in 60 and 70 areas to allow for safer overtaking. But there should be a massive review of 60mph roads. I've been on many a country road which is NSL, some are even single track and if you maintained 60 throughout, you'd more than likely kill someone around the next corner.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm all for it. Car drivers in general think that they can do whatever speed they like with impunity. Me, I'll be holding on to my motorbike :okay:.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I think this will be a good reminder for sensible drivers, but those who still want to speed will still do so (either by not buying a new car or disabling the limiter equipment).

My idea would be to restrict speed in built-up areas, but to remain unrestricted in 60 and 70 areas to allow for safer overtaking. But there should be a massive review of 60mph roads. I've been on many a country road which is NSL, some are even single track and if you maintained 60 throughout, you'd more than likely kill someone around the next corner.
If you can't overtake without breaking the limit you shouldn't overtake. If I drove down the motorway at 120mph I'd be overtaking everything, but that would hardly be an excuse.

Top Bottom