Speed Limiters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
Money to be made repairing and/or selling older unlimited cars.
Only for a few years
The older cars will be forced off the roads by ULEZ pollution restrictions

We already have the situation where pre-2015 diesels will not be permitted in London after next year, other UK cities will follow suit.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Hasn't it been cancelled?.

Long river in Brazil (refuse to use name as this forum makes it an ad) finally realised they bought a pile of cr*p in the form of Clarkson.

Hammond OK with me - he loves cycling, James May the sciencey engineer :okay:, good too.

Clarkson - tit.

Always liked the Top Gear one where Hammond beat them all on the race to London City airport on his road bike. Clarkson's face was priceless.

Brains

Legendary Member
I think the issue will be hacking (or 'mapping' as it's called in the car business)
It will easy enough to find chip hackers to override the speed limiters.

After-all there is a big industry in supplying full skirting, wide wheels, airfoils, under car lighting, wrapping, big exhausts, in car entertainment and fluffy dice production, that adding a speed override chip for your Subaru Impreza will be cheap and easy!

GilesM

Legendary Member
Only for a few years
The older cars will be forced off the roads by ULEZ pollution restrictions

We already have the situation where pre-2015 diesels will not be permitted in London after next year, other UK cities will follow suit.

I don't agree, we already see how the classic car market is too strong, and important to the economy, and nobody needs a fast car for London.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Enjoy your stats, I just doubt it will make any difference, people will always be able to drive like complete retards, and journeys on some of the best quiet roads will become some what more boring for many drivers.

Here's how a discussion works; you make an argument that roads won't be safer. I present facts that show actually they will be safer. Where we have gone off the rails is that you are now saying "ignore the facts, here is my opinion"

Opinions are great, but how about backing them up with some cogent argument, just like I have done? On what basis do you "doubt it will make any difference" when facts show that speeding was a contributory factor in 250 road deaths per year?

Levo-Lon

Guru
Here's how a discussion works; you make an argument that roads won't be safer. I present facts that show actually they will be safer. Where we have gone off the rails is that you are now saying "ignore the facts, here is my opinion"

Opinions are great, but how about backing them up with some cogent argument, just like I have done? On what basis do you "doubt it will make any difference" when facts show that speeding was a contributory factor in 250 road deaths per year?

How many were over the limit..
On drugs
Or pedestrian deaths.

Stats are ok but they often dont tell the whole truth.

Someone from Roadpeace will sound like a vendetta on all motorists, no to everything
Someone from the motoring world will argue with some reasoning and give a more balanced view

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
It will do some good but I'm not entirely sure it will be the amazing panacea that they're selling it as.

I'm worried that too many Herbert's will put an undue level of faith in the tech and drive everywhere with their foot planted to the floor "safe" in the knowledge that the car won't exceed the limit, regardless of road conditions, traffic levels, the weather or anything else.

And don't forget it's only new cars - it will take a decade to reach the point where the majority of cars on the roads are equipped with it.

I'd rather see the built in breathalyser made mandatory, preferably upgraded to detect drug drivers too.

Next they will be taking away the steering....

Lozz360

Veteran
It would show what the car has done not the driver as there would have to be a way to identify who was driving at the time of any alleged offence.
The registered keeper will be asked to identify the driver. If RK refuses to identify then they are prosecuted as happens with speed cameras now.

Lozz360

Veteran
I can't think of a good reason not to have speed limiters in new cars. It will be possible to override them should the need arise in the form of some emergency just by pressing down on the accelerator. The default will be you stick to the speed limit which has to be a good thing.

What I don't get is the AA's argument that a bit of speed is necessary, for instance, when joining a motorway. So if the motorway traffic is travelling at the speed limit, why would it be necessary to travel faster than the speed limit on the slip road? Bear in mind that there will be no restriction on the rate of acceleration.

DRM

Guru
I think it’s an idea that is both good and dangerous in equal parts, firstly it’ll stop the idiots in BMW’s & Audi’s flying up to the back of you at 80/90 mph on motorways & dual carriageways when you’re doing 70 mph, however it’s back to that if you’re driving a van on a national speed limit road, as there is a 10 mph difference between a car & a van,but this is further complicated by the fact that a car derived van has the same speed limits as a car, but a double cab pick up is a commercial so should be driven at the same speed as a large van, however I accept some van/pick up drivers don’t seem aware of this & are regularly seen speeding in large Transit type vans & pick ups, there will be queues of vehicles all stuck trying to overtake, when plainly they won’t be capable of doing so, so if you get stuck in lane 2 or 3 it’s a certainty that no one will let you in when approaching your exit, the other problem is incorrect recording of speed limits on gps systems, so that will need sorting out, it will stop the lunatics who think that the 20 mph limit doesn’t apply to them and overtake because you have the audacity to keep to the limit, I think it’s a flawed idea, it sounds good in principle, but in reality it’s quite unworkable in a real world scenario, just get some motorway patrol police cars back out there on mass and drop on the idiots like a ton of bricks.

Top Bottom