Speed Limiters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
The police already use such equipment in their patrol cars. It instantly flags lack of MoT, insurance and MoT, yet it doesn’t seem to prevent huge numbers of drivers (10% in London?) flouting the law. The likelihood of being caught seems to be very small.

The way they catch them in London is when the road tax expires.
They have cars fitted withe ANPR cameras that cruise through the back streets on a fairly regular basis.
Where they find a car parked without valid tax they clamp it.
To get it un-clamped you have to pay the road tax, the back tax and a fine.
To pay the road tax you need up to date insurance and MOT

If you don't have a MOT you enter an Orwellian world of trouble .....

In London the clamped cars without MOT's are sent to two car pounds.
The ones from south of the river go to north London, and those from the north go to south London,
so as to deliberately make it a long trip to get back your car.
You can view, from space, the south London pound here
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.482944,0.0219624,388m/data=!3m1!1e3
Both Pounds do MOT's on site.
I'd presume they are the most expensive & picky MOT's available :smile:

The car is only released, and only directly to the named owner, once all the paperwork is in order (including the fine, all the back tax and a photo driving licence.)
Unable to produce the paperwork within the time limit? Not a problem Sir, there is a crusher on site !

So yes, there are a fair percentage of un-taxed &/or un-insured &/or un-MOT'ed vehicles in London, but not many will be in that status for long
(unless you are looking at deliberate fraud, such as stolen or ringed vehicles or false plates etc.)

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The police already use such equipment in their patrol cars. It instantly flags lack of MoT, insurance and MoT, yet it doesn’t seem to prevent huge numbers of drivers (10% in London?) flouting the law. The likelihood of being caught seems to be very small.
If all vehicles communicated through a satellite to a central database any vehicle on the road without the necessary legals would flag immediately with it's precise location. There would be no need to chance on a passing police car spotting a dodgy vehicle as they could be alerted and directed straight to the target vehicle. And if they were too busy at that particular time they could simply call round the drivers house when it was convenient (5am being a popular choice for unannounced visit).

screenman

Legendary Member
Anyone else hear the Muppet on the Jeremy Whine prog yesterday, bloke complaining the police had nicked him speeding at the same place twice, and it was the coppers fault.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
You want my engine? Shouldn’t you buy me dinner first?

Dinner?
You're anyone else's for two cans of Carlsberg.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I was a little concerned to read the Head of the AA commenting that "a little speed is sometimes useful such as overtaking or filtering onto motorways"

I interpret that as being speeding is ok in those circumstances which continues to peddle the narrative that sometimes faster is safer than slower. I remember lorry and bus drivers saying exactly the same thing when speed limiters were introduced for them
Yep, the AA's mask slipped for a moment, didn't it?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Only 10% in London? Then maybe London's ANPR and CCTV prevalence works because nationally "around 28% of cars will be overdue at any one time".

Top Bottom