Speed Limiters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
I don't agree, we already see how the classic car market is too strong, and important to the economy, and nobody needs a fast car for London.

Ain't nothing stopping you driving your non-ULEZ compliant vehicle within the zone, except your wallet
(£100 per day, which I think will remove even the most classic of cars)

snorri

Legendary Member
and journeys on some of the best quiet roads will become some what more boring for many drivers.
Roads are transport links, not fun fairs.

I think the issue will be hacking (or 'mapping' as it's called in the car business)
It will easy enough to find chip hackers to override the speed limiters.

After-all there is a big industry in supplying full skirting, wide wheels, airfoils, under car lighting, wrapping, big exhausts, in car entertainment and fluffy dice production, that adding a speed override chip for your Subaru Impreza will be cheap and easy!
I think your insurance is invalidated if you chip your car which put off enough people and make it very expensive for those who ignore it.

Proto

Legendary Member
I think your insurance is invalidated if you chip your car which put off enough people and make it very expensive for those who ignore it.

I have no data to support this but I suspect that most chipped/remapped car owners do not inform their insurers. They are relying on the fact that they will never be challenged, and even if involved in a collision, their insurance company will not investigate the cars software. I base my suspicions purely on banter on various motoring message boards, when I have been seeking advice on remapping cars I have owned.

I have no data to support this but I suspect that most chipped/remapped car owners do not inform their insurers. They are relying on the fact that they will never be challenged, and even if involved in a collision, their insurance company will not investigate the cars software. I base my suspicions purely on banter on various motoring message boards, when I have been seeking advice on remapping cars I have owned.
But in the new scenario if there’s a crash the insurance company would by default look at the new log of what happened. Should the logging of data be disabled or the log show it was travelling at greater than allowable speed the insurance would be invalidated.

Proto

Legendary Member
But in the new scenario if there’s a crash the insurance company would by default look at the new log of what happened. Should the logging of data be disabled or the log show it was travelling at greater than allowable speed the insurance would be invalidated.

Yes, in the event of a collision, they could, and should, interrogate the software, but they don’t. I am talking about what happens now, not what might happen in the future.

Last edited:
Yes, in the event of a collision, they could, and should, interrogate the software, but they don’t. I am talking about what happens now, not what might happen in the future.
I am sure you are correct as currently it will take resources not worth spending on finding out if it’s been chipped. In the scenario we’re talking about the discovery of chipping would be shown by default. I would imagine this would change what people would do as it would be changing from being almost certainly able to do without being caught to almost certainly being caught

Levo-Lon

Guru
PS if you think it surprising that someone might be lying to their insurance company, consider that there are many thousands of cars being driven with no insurance at all.

As I said earlier,and this will increase with this legislation

GilesM

Legendary Member
Here's how a discussion works; you make an argument that roads won't be safer. I present facts that show actually they will be safer. Where we have gone off the rails is that you are now saying "ignore the facts, here is my opinion"

Opinions are great, but how about backing them up with some cogent argument, just like I have done? On what basis do you "doubt it will make any difference" when facts show that speeding was a contributory factor in 250 road deaths per year?

I think you'll find you quoted some stats, that may or may not be facts, however, if you want a discussions to be limited to facts and official stats, and no opinions, then you are after a very dull world, and are probably the sort of person who would ruin a good pub discussions by using google.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
If you can't overtake without breaking the limit you shouldn't overtake. If I drove down the motorway at 120mph I'd be overtaking everything, but that would hardly be an excuse.
I've been driving with a speed limiter on (70mph) and pulled out to overtake a slow lorry. When I got to 70 the power was cut, it's not a nice feeling to be accelerating and then to be stuck in lane 2 or 3 with no power. Driving instructors teach that you can exceed the 70mph limit by 5mph in order to overtake safely, similar to what the AA were suggesting in the article. I think it's a bit over the top to compare safe overtaking to blitzing down lane 2 at 120!

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
True in my experience also. Any modifications "were there when I bought it, how would I now it's not standard"? But I can see an insurance company digging deeper if they are trying to avoid paying out a 6 figure sum

GilesM

Legendary Member
I've been driving with a speed limiter on (70mph) and pulled out to overtake a slow lorry. When I got to 70 the power was cut, it's not a nice feeling to be accelerating and then to be stuck in lane 2 or 3 with no power.

It's not really a good idea to cut the power in the middle of a bend either, that is a real concern with limiters that really would need to be investigated, perhaps traction control systems could be designed to help overcome the problem, but they cannot break the rules of physics.

Top Bottom