Speed Limiters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
Our Hybrid Yaris has GPS and camera sensors which, 98% of the time tell me what the local speed limit is. Neither is perfect and for another 2 or 3% of the time they disagree. The car has a sensor on the speedo which will, when it's switched on [which it is all of the time], give an audible warning if the car is exceeding the limit. Those few percent means it's not accurate enough to rely on.
Having read the proposal the system can be over-ridden with a press of the accelerator to the floor. A must IMHO, for those moments when you've misjudged an overtake, or, more often, the cock you are overtaking puts his foot down! I also suspect some drivers will have their foot to the metal all of the time.
The black box is a great idea. If I've made a mistake it will show up after a collision. Seems eminently fair and just.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It'll just make life that little bit duller, and no safer, some people manage to drive badly at any speed, but good to know it's got a few people excited, and the stereotypes concerning certain car makes have all been regurgitated in the approved Cycle Chat way.

Most recent stats show 250 RTC deaths per year in which exceeding the speed limit was a contributory factor. If we were to prevent exceeding the speed limit, how is that "no safer". I can think of 250 families every year that would disagree with you

Salar

A fish out of water
Just checked my car, apparently I've a speed limiter fitted, I thought it was another button for cruise control, which I never use. :rolleyes:

As a friend of mine always says "read the manual"

GilesM

Legendary Member
Most recent stats show 250 RTC deaths per year in which exceeding the speed limit was a contributory factor. If we were to prevent exceeding the speed limit, how is that "no safer". I can think of 250 families every year that would disagree with you

Enjoy your stats, I just doubt it will make any difference, people will always be able to drive like complete retards, and journeys on some of the best quiet roads will become some what more boring for many drivers.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Sweden has had it (ISA) for years (IRRC it is compulsory for new drivers) and their road traffic collisions are one of the lowest in the world, that says enough for me, I'm in favour of it.

They are obsessive with safety tho.
Just look at Volvo..not a bad thing but the UK has far more idiots than Sweden

Top Bottom