Speed ,slowing down when it get's colder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul04

Über Member
I had a day off work yesterday, so went out for a bike ride, was a lot colder out than it has been, thought I would try and better a few of my best times on a few strava segments,
But speed wise I could get no where near, 3 weeks ago on 1 segment I got to 41mph, yesterday, fastest was 35mph, on another segment my fastest time 1 minute 38 seconds, yesterday 1 minute 49 seconds,

So does the colder weather play a part on your speed.

Drago

Legendary Member
It slows down the chemical reaction that makes energy available to the muscles. On the other hand, a big unit like me likes the extra cooling.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yes, apparently warm air is less dense or something like that. Hence the fastest times set in the velodrome are when it is at it's warmest and they generally keep it pretty warm. Evening's are also faster condition wise than mornings, apparently.

Plus, there is the working temperature of your body to consider, one example of such is that your HR can be more difficult to elevate in colder temperatures, as the body protects the major organs and less oxygen making it to the muscles.

PK99

Legendary Member
I had a day off work yesterday, so went out for a bike ride, was a lot colder out than it has been, thought I would try and better a few of my best times on a few strava segments,
But speed wise I could get no where near, 3 weeks ago on 1 segment I got to 41mph, yesterday, fastest was 35mph, on another segment my fastest time 1 minute 38 seconds, yesterday 1 minute 49 seconds,

Air density is higher
More clothes restrict movement
More energy is used simply keeping warm
Etc

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I find i cycle and run slightly faster when its cooler, I overheat way too easily in the summer, about 5-10 degrees seems just right for me :smile:

asterix

Comrade Member

Cold weather does but not merely colder weather. If it is so cold I don't warm up then muscle performance suffers. Agree with Mr Jamie 5-10C is a good temp for perfomance although I do like hot weather cycling, the cooling breeze, etc.

Broadside

Guru
Warm/hot weather is when I go fastest, very marginal slow down in the cold. Foggy mornings on the other hand are a nightmare, it really knocks my performance to the tune of 1.5mph off my regular average speed, I find the real damp/misty/foggy mornings really hard work.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I go slower in winter as i'm constantly on the look out for ice,bad drivers,and gritters etc. I've also over the years become less tolerant of low winter sun, last week was horrendous! So if it's sunny i find it hard to see and i'm cautious over vehicles seeing me from behind.
Years ago it was different. I didn't worry about such things and i found winter cycling better than summer as the cold inspired me to go faster to get my ride over with instead of sightseeing!;)

OP
OP
paul04

paul04

Über Member
Sometimes its hard to workout what to wear to keep warm. just looking out of the window this morning and seeing the frost. Think it might be a case of trial and error. might end up looking like the michelin man:laugh:

michelin_man_hi.jpg

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Could be to do with how you psychologically feel as well. I feel enormously better in the spring summer and ride far better, but that's got nothing to do with temperature.

I feel, for me at least, my mental state is at least 70% of my performance.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I hate cold weather. I just hate the feeling of shivering whilst on the bike.
I currently wear my full winter kit when going out atm as it is too cold for me, and we havent even got below 0c yet.

The thing with me is that I normally feel the effects of colder weather very quicky and wrap up accordingly. And then when the weather starts to get warm, I normally strip off quicker than the usual person too.

With regards to speed, I have found that I do slow down and lose speed (not good for my commute) you can just look at mycyclinglog to see that.

I really do hate the cold. I dont mind when I am wrapped up and it is snowing because that is fun! But just when it is purely cold and there is nothing to amuse you.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
If you are cold or too hot on the bike then you have the wrong clothing. I don't slow due to temperatures, just change your kit accordingly :biggrin:

Absolutely. It can be expensive to kit up with the right type of layers for all situations, but once you have a good layering system built up they are highly flexible and you should never be too cold/hot. For instance, NEVER wear cotton, it'll soak through in minutes and then hold the wet on your skin.

Top Bottom